2008 yamaha four stroke, Blown cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 yamaha four stroke, Blown cooling system

yesterday, while running I noticed water pouring out from my engine callen. I expected to find a loose hose or something simple, but what I found was a 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch hole in the top of the block pumping saltwater everywhere. I plugged the hole with a piece of rubber off a boat plug and ran home 40 miles. The plug held with only a small seep and did not get worse on the ride home. This is obviously corrosion from lack of flushing. My question is can this be repaired from the outside with a jb weld type of product,along with a cooling system flush. This is a great motor, everything works fine, but its not worth replacing a block. I will post pics of hole if I can figure out how

Also engine did not overheat. It was still peeing when i caught it

Comment

Comment

bummer.
        Not unheard of,
        "salt"- aluminum corrosion product-
        accumulates behind the thermostat,
        stays wet,
        and the corrosion continues even when the engine is not being run.

Certainly it can be welded -
        if you have someone capable, interested, and affordable,
        to take the trouble to 'do it right'.

"JB Weld" can also 'work' -
        but success depends on the execution.

Like any 'cancer' it has to be thoroughly removed -
        cleaned down to good, bare metal.

Comment

I have a hole welded up also
          the guy had a problem with the metal impurities gasing off and blowing holes in the weld puddle, but finally got it done.
          the deep pits on the inside I used JB weld to fill in.
          But the hole was close to the shoulder the stat fit in.
          I sanded and filed it down smooth before putting it all back together.

something to think about, what do you do if it pops again and you cannot get it under control to make that long trip back?
          call sea tow?

Comment

Oh, this is all on you. "Nothing to see here folks! Move along". (He said as he mailed his resume off to Yamaha)

Comment

I have commented in an earlier post about water laying in the thermostat housing on a pair of F70 yamahas.
              I can tell you, that even after 50 engine hours, I noticed the paint bubbling inside the housing. Both motors were flushed using the built in hose connection and then motors are run in a drum with fresh water for a good while. I then run Salt X through the motors.
              I have since scraped the bubbling paint and painted with an etch primer. I now regularly remove the thermostat covers, only 2 bolts, and check inside. I leave the covers off until I am ready for the next trip.

Comment

First, I hope you washed that motor down with soap water and sprayed it down with WD40 or similar. Can you insert a sleeve in the housing to take care of any pressure on the repair than JP Weld the outside for a finale seal?

Comment

The "correct" way to repair would be to weld it as noted above. I would trim away the thin aluminum and make a "plug" to fit in the hole (as the hole will get bigger when cleaned).

JB weld would probably work but certainly not as dependable (especially as the hole gets larger) as a weld-Especially if running way off shore, IMO

With the plug, it'll be much easier to weld.

*I did a similar repair on a head on a Mercury which rotted away allowing the water jacket access to the combustion chamber. Worked great and that was sealing the combustion chamber, much higher PSI than a water jacket
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any sort of glue/epoxy is a temporary patch, weld or replace is a permanent repair.

Comment

Working...
                    X