F40 starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40 starting problem

My F40 outboard has only 80 operating hours, it is almost new. Some weaks ago I experienced a special problem. It starts easy when cold and runs great through the entire range. Nothing irregularity. If I shut it down restarting is also OK. But if I wait about 15 minutes (the motor as a whole becomes warmer) restarting is not possible. It cranks but not starts. The neutral throttle lever does not help. After 40-50 minutes (time depends on the temperature of the air) the motor cools down completely and restarting is easy again. Did anybody meet this problem? Which part can cause this? Any suggestion?

Francis

Is this a fuel injected F40 or a carbureted F40? Big difference.

Would be helpful to know the complete model identity. Better still, the engine serial number.

Comment

Hello boscoe99, it is an F40FET model (fuel injected), its serial number: 6BGS1009283F. Somebody told me it has a fuel pump problem, but I don't think so. Thank you for your help.

Francis

Comment

Ask your dealer to check about fuel pump "campaign" on your motor.Pretty sure your motor will need a new vst pump if is havent been changed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by y@m@h@F40 View Post
          Hello boscoe99, it is an F40FET model (fuel injected), its serial number: 6BGS1009283F. Somebody told me it has a fuel pump problem, but I don't think so. Thank you for your help.

Francis
          Your specific serial number is the subject of a Yamaha bulletin that calls for the removal and replacement of the fuel pump.

Has yours been done? Inspect the VST float chamber. Look at the lower right hand corner. There should be a blue dot there if the updated pump has been installed.

In any event, you should not be having the problem that you are with a new motor. With or without the new or old pump. Take it to a dealer to be fixed under warranty.

Comment

arny and boscoe99, thank you for your reply. I never heard about that fuel pump campaign. Where can I find that Yamaha bulletin? I bought the motor 3 yeras ago, it has the "original" fuel pump, but I used it for only 80 hours, therefore it looks like a new one. At present no warranty, therefore I have to refer to that replacement campaign. Thank you again.

Francis

Comment

A "campaign" is generally related to recalls. There is no recall for the F40 fuel pump. But, there is a Yamaha USA bulletin that addresses the need for the pump to be removed and replaced.

In what country are you located?

I believe that Yamaha will replace the pump at no charge to you whether the motor is in warranty or not. At least I believe that Yamaha USA will.

Contact a Yamaha dealer within your country. See what they have to say.

Comment

Hello again! I appreciate your help, thanks. I am from Budapest (Hungary, Europe). Meanwhile I found a thread (Problem with Yammie F40 FEMT) on the Australian Angling Forum which refers to my outboard:

Good morning all,
                there was a Technical Service (TSI # 1002) Information bulletin from Yamaha re the high pressure fuel pump in the VST back on 10/09/2010. Affected serial numbers for the F40F are
                6BG: 1000001 - 1013062. This document instructs the dealers to replace the affected fuel pumps during periodic inspection or during routine maintenance. It also states that the dealers should take the opportunity to contact known customers to arrange a replacement of the VST pump. It also advises the dealer to replace the pump on motors they have in stock before sale during the pre delivery service.
                Hope this helps.
                Give me a yell if you need any further info.
                Regards, RTFM

I hope I can refer to this bulletin tomorrow. My dealer forgot to inform me about this situation.

Comment

The bulletin number may be different from country to country or region to region. Just give the dealer the serial number of your motor and ask him to look it up. Ask him when you can take the motor to him for a new fuel pump. Free of charge of course.

Comment

Hello boscoe!
                    I sent your information about the VST pump replacing campaign in the US and RTFM's cited reply from the Australian Angling Forum to the Yamaha Motors Middle Europe. Some days later Yamaha Motors approved the replacing of the VST pump free of charge. My dealer replaced the pump today. I hope warm start will be OK in the future. Your help provided great support for me. Many thanks and good luck!
                    Francis

Comment

Congratulations. I trust that you motor problems are all behind you now.

Comment

Working...
                      X