2005 YAM 150 4stroke noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 YAM 150 4stroke noise

Anybody have any experience with their 4 stroke squealing at idle. Would like to hear how you correct or just read your story

gene,
    This is from another forum where I am a member - maverickboats.com :

The F 115s do the same thing. Sounds like a squeaky belt or bearing going bad. The truth is that some of these engines do it and others don't. Here's the solution: it's the vertical drive shaft rubbing against the rubber boot that covers it. With the engine in neutral, you can see the shaft spinning. What happens is that with a little salt water spray and some heat, etc. the rubber boot dries out and rubs against the shaft. If you dog the wheel to one side or the other and look into the vertical gap (about 1/2"), you can see the whole thing. It's right at the base of the powerhead and you can see it from the front which is tricky with a platform, etc. When the engine is running (just for good coverage) squirt a few shots of corrision X or a good silicone lubricant on the shaft and the boot and the sound will magically go away. It lasts about 10 trips or so before you have to do it again. The sound will not harm anything but your nerves, but if you want it to go away, that's the trick. I found this out after an exhaustive search and interrogation of my mechanic and finally the boys over on www.thehulltruth.com explained the whole thing. Hope this helps!

-Eddie

Well, thanks to "Eddie", and I hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

I gotta tell ya.. as I sit here on perfect day my 2006 115 is in the shop for the same issue.
      My Expert told me he talked to Yamaha and they said it is a maintenance item that should be lubricated once a season.
      The mechanic thinks it should be a warranty item. He wants me to contact yamaha and fight them on it.
      He also said its about a $100 job to drop the lower unit and grease the vertical
      drive shaft bushing.
      He thinks the sound is indicative of a part that will fail if not addressed.

I think someone is greasing my vertical shaft with sand paper.

What say you?

Comment

Lower unit noise

There was a bullitin out for the F115 stating that the Brass sleave tolorance were to close where the drive shaft goes up thru the mid housing i had to hone out adozen or so motors to make the noise go away

Comment

So..does a bulletin mean that Yamaha recognizes there is an issue? Can anyone produce a copy of the bulletin please? I am sure Yamaha made it disappear as soon as they realized they would face a class action lawsuit. I feel ok going that route if I have to..it's what I do foe a living (supply discovery of documents for class action lawsuits)

Am I going overboard here? The engine is still under warranty and has 100 hrs.
          Thanks

Comment

4stroke squeal

I have fixed problem successfully. The rubber boot at the top of the vertical shaft needs to be greased. If you need more detail please reply and I will be glad to share all info.

Comment

Yamaha F-90 Engine Squeal

I have a 2006 Yamaha F90 that also squeals at idle - sometimes. Actaully, the only time that I notice it is when I've been running at middle to high loads and then drop back to idle. When *****ing for a while or just starting up, the noise isn't present. This seems to fit with the symtoms and descriptions you guys have given here. I'll be in the shop for routine maintenance in a few weeks and I'll ask the Tech about it then. - Woodnaut

Comment

My suggestion would be to have the impeller serviced at the same time. Yamaha informed me that you would need to grease the vertical shaft at least every 100 hours.
                Here is the catch the squeal occurs when the bushing at the top of the verticle shaft becomes hot and dry. You'll really need to drop the lower unit to get at it. youll want to grease everything including the driveshaft housing assembly. But most is the important is the verticle drive shaft bushing.
                If you go on yamaha's web site under parts http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx
                look up you engine model and go to the upper casing chart. You will see the drive shaft bushing that needs the greese.
                If all else fails call yammy directly..they know about the issue. They still refuse it as a warranty item, but can be serviced during the time when you change your impeller.

Good luck

T

Comment

Working...
                X