Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I slow down and speed up for incoming wave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I slow down and speed up for incoming wave?

should I slow down and speed up for incoming wave?
    I found out my new 2019 Yamaha 70 hp is a good 50 pounds lighter than my old Johnson 90 hp 2 stroke, so if somebody sits in the front or bow area then I tend to dig into the waves. Here is a picture of my friend sitting in the bow and I sat in the helm. This wave was maybe 2 feet but it flooded my boat as I was going at 10 miles an hour only.
    Captain steve - 1974 wellcraft airslot 165 with 2019 Yamaha 70

here is a video link for you to see what happened

https://youtu.be/aUSEU8WcCHU
    Captain steve - 1974 wellcraft airslot 165 with 2019 Yamaha 70

Comment

I've found it's best to slow down a bunch (almost to idle) and then accelerate slowly and get the bow all the way up (do not plane out).

The impact will be less and while you'll still get some spray, it won't be coming over the bow as you experienced..

Pretty much the same answer you got at THT..
      https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ming-wave.html
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-24-2019, 04:35 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

i would say do not let weight up front when running

Comment

You have trim....trim the nose up! And as Yam said move the weight back aft.

Comment

This is why bowriders are inherently unsafe.

You are hardly in any "sea" with no wind (white caps) and this happens. What's gonna happen if you get caught by surprise?
            Either your friend losses a lot of weight, sits in the back or you need to reassess where your weight is in that boat and bring stuff back to the middle or stern.

If you don't do the later make sure you have a floating waterproof camera, because you will get better footage if you decide bring an additional friend, as the bow section always attracts people more than the rest of the boat!

I'll never own one.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
              This is why bowriders are inherently unsafe.

You are hardly in any "sea" with no wind (white caps) and this happens. What's gonna happen if you get caught by surprise?
              Either your friend losses a lot of weight, sits in the back or you need to reassess where your weight is in that boat and bring stuff back to the middle or stern.

If you don't do the later make sure you have a floating waterproof camera, because you will get better footage if you decide bring an additional friend, as the bow section always attracts people more than the rest of the boat!

I'll never own one.
              Me either. Front of boat still the most popular spot for newbies. Give them a taste and they will move.

You can only do so much with a 16ft
              boat. 20ft boat is not necessarily a smooth boat either. Lake? Maybe. Ocean....good
              luck. We got beat pretty good in a 62ft July 4th. Relative to what you are trying to do.
              Last edited by pstephens46; 09-28-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X