Dropping the foot 85hp Yamaha 2-stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping the foot 85hp Yamaha 2-stroke

85hp Yamaha 2 stroke outboard, actually two of them.

Want to drop the foot to change the water pump impeller.

All 5 bolts, including the one for the trim tap, have been removed on the first one.

The foot will not drop.

The foot will 'twist' very very slightly, less than a 1/16".

Seems that the shaft has :

- the grease congealed into a 'glue' or

- the foot shaft will have corroded on to the drive shaft or

- both !!!!

What is the best way to proceed ?

Sounds like a C85. An 85 was not offered here in the USA.

There are six bolts that need to be removed. Not 5.zlu.jpg

Comment

Boscoe, you been on vacation down south again?
      been a week since you posted.

OP like Boscoe said, from what you wrote it sounds like you pulled the bolt holding the trim tab anode, but not the bolt hiding up under it.

But then I would not think the lower unit would even move with that bolt still in and tight.

if you did pull that bolt also, then it is likely that the drive shaft is rusted into the crank shaft of the motor.
      drive wedges to evenly pull on the lower unit.
      put a couple of bolts back in loosely(so the lower unit does not hit the ground when it comes loose) and fire you the motor and shift it back and forth hoping that will break it free.

Comment

Thanks, I think that #9 bolt was also removed. Will check and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Sounds like a C85. An 85 was not offered here in the USA.
          I'm in the Leeward Islands, Caribbean, and confirm it is an 85hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
            Thanks, I think that #9 bolt was also removed. Will check and report back.
            Yes the #9 was also removed.

Comment

not much help at this time, but an annual drop to re-grease, replace things, and check things out helps keep the shafts and bolts from seizing up

Comment

You said there are two motors? Are both lowers seized?

Comment

[QUOTE=99yam40;n220382]Boscoe, you been on vacation down south again?
                  been a week since you posted.

Roscoe is a big cheat. Playing over at THT.

Comment

Not cheating on you guys. Just not much going on over here lately it seems.

Comment

Yes two motors. But only undoing one at present.

I have watched this Video with some trepidation.

Have to initiate the movement with an old kitchen knife to get space for larger wedges!!!!!

Once it moves bit, may be able to spray some 50% acetone/50% Automatic transmission fluid up onto the splines.
                      Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 09-24-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

to get it to run into where it needs to go, you will need to turn the motor upside down

Comment

That was BRUTAL.... That's why my engine (any machine), doesn't go to the shop...

It'd probably help with the engine DOWN all the way, let gravity help.

Also, perhaps pushing the unit back UP to loosen the rust and then down again.. Just like a rusty bolt, you have to work it in BOTH DIRECTIONS..

Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Brute force and ignorance was that guys moto..I am surprised he didn't break any of the flanges off at that.

I had an old 77 mercury 20 that I had hung upside down for more than a year in my garage attached to the rafters and floor with a come along for pressure. Wedges and spraying the shaft with every kind of stuff I could think of. drilled a hole in the leg up close to the spline socket so I could heat the shaft....never ever got it apart. Sold it to a guys for parts..he ended up cutting the leg off. They get stuck bad.

I heard of a guy would layed his motor on its side, attached the top to a large tree. The lower wrapped with a heavy strap and a chain to that. Hooked it to his truck and pulled it apart like that...lol

Good Luck

Comment

If I had to address that engine, I would have put a couple of aluminum "L" shaped shims placed between the wedge and engine/LU. The "L" keeping the shims from moving away. Then, pound away.

That guy obviously didn't give a s..t. It wasn't his motor..

I'd be embarrassed to post that on-line, much less with my Marina shirt on showing how we work at this shop..
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X