1998 225 running engine with garden hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 225 running engine with garden hose

Over the winter I have been running my engine with the hose connection on the moter. I was reading the manuel and theres nothing in there saying that it is OK to do. Now I am wondering if I hurt the water pump or anything else. I replaced the water pump last year so I try to get two seasons out of it. What is your take on this?

The thing you have to remember is the flush attachment is putting water into engine so you need to turn water on let run a little bit to get water down to water pump( you never want to run water pump dry)before starting engine. and don't run for more than idle speed. We run on both the motor flush attachment and lower unit flusher at same time, mainly because a V6 engines needs a large amount of water to keep cool.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Charles,
      I agree with boats.net guy.
      But if you are going to use only one garden hose to flush while the outboard is running, I would use the earmuffs - then there is no question that the water is getting to the water pump.
      If you are not getting enough water to the motor using only one hose or because of low city water pressure, the thermo switches in the heads will let you know that the motor is overheating by sounding the alarm, and this happens way before any damage is done.
      As far as how long between water pump repair - if you are not running in shallow water and picking up a lot of sand/shale/weeds, then two years easy - unless you are doing more than a hundred hours per year. My marine mechanic (the one I go to when I am in over my head) tells his customers to do it every two years - but that is an average.
      I personally run my water pump three years before repair - but then I have a water pressure gauge to tell me how my pump is performing.
      Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X