X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim problems F100

Hello, please need yours advices about this trim prob. :
    engine is F100
    I press the trim button (switch from the trottle /or switch from the engine ) the trim go up or go down ( respect the sens of the switch ) just like no problems, BUT somethime the trim engine do not work, just a " click" sound in the engine ( i think is the sound of the reley ).
    another time the trim engine is working ok BUT in the working time, the rotation speed (turation) is slowing down like a battery without power until it stop. this problem is the same for up or down.
    batery is good with power, the engine work fine everything is looking good.

thanks in advance!!

could be the brushes in the motor itself, a bad connection(battery or other wiring), or the relay(internal contact in relay)
    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-06-2019, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot 99yam40, i will test the trim motor directly by his wires, but the relay i don't know how to test.

Comment

Usually the relay, if bad, only one direction will act up.

Plus one on the trim motor itself. If that works properly, (as posted), it's narrowed down to the relay or more likely a bad connection / battery.

You may want to check voltage at the relay coming in to the relay and going out (to the trim unit)..

*When my trim relay was failing, ONLY going down was the issue...

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I'm a little more versed in stern drives, but... when we're just getting a "click" with a stern drive's relay, it's easy enough to jump the relay to see if that fixes the problem. I assume you could do the same thing with the F100 relays?

Relays tend to fail by making less and less actual contact inside. Meaning, the still physically move/make contact, but the contact points get worn over time.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
            I'm a little more versed in stern drives, but... when we're just getting a "click" with a stern drive's relay, it's easy enough to jump the relay to see if that fixes the problem. I assume you could do the same thing with the F100 relays?

Relays tend to fail by making less and less actual contact inside. Meaning, the still physically move/make contact, but the contact points get worn over time.
            Like this (my T&T FAILED relay) ?

Scott

Comment

Yup! That's exactly what happens. Good pic!
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                Yup! That's exactly what happens. Good pic!
                I tore the old one down after the replacement just to confirm and to see exactly what's inside (and how it works). Obviously, it was indeed bad..
                Scott

Comment

Hello, thanks for answers, i put the trim wires (electric engine) directly to battery (i do bypass to relay) and the problem is still there, the rotation is bad = ( from corect rotation to slowly ,very slowly, to no rotation.)

Comment

then I would say the electric motor is the problem.
                    you can pull it and take apart to see what you find or just buy a new one

Comment

Plus 1 ^^^^^..

I'd first pull that motor apart myself..
                      Scott

Comment

If you buy new get oem, the aftermarkets are junk.

Comment

Thanks a lot! i will be back with the details after put the motor apart!

Comment

Working...
                          X