2014 Yamaha 20hp 4 stroke electric conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Yamaha 20hp 4 stroke electric conversion

I’m looking to convert my manual start to an electric start. Is this possible? And where can I find a compatible kit? Motor is a 2014 Yamaha 20hp 4 stroke tiller drive model # F20SMHA Any help is very much appreciated.

It is possible.

No kit available from Yamaha. Compare your F20SMHA to an F20SEHA. Of the same production year.

Remove the stuff on your motor that is not used on the F20SEHA. Add the stuff that is used on the F20SEHA to your motor.

Comment

Thanks. That sounds a bit complicated. I can pretty well follow directions but figuring that out sounds a bit beyond my ability. Know on any tutorials? Or part lists for making the conversion?

Comment

No parts list. Or kits list. That would be part of a kit. That does not exist.

It is not that complicated. Go and open the parts book for your specific model. Open the parts book for the electric start model. The differences will be seen there. Mostly in the electrics section and the starter motor section.

I suspect that you will find it cost prohibitive to do a conversion. Might be more effective to sell what you have and buy what you want.

Comment

think about it, could a starter be mounted on the motor with no problems?
          does the flywheel had a ring gear on it to mesh with the starter?
          you will need a new wiring harness and start relay along with the safeties to keep the starter from engaging while in gear.
          also a battery and the ability to charge it from the motor while it runs.

As Boscoe said find a motor you want and sell your other one once you get the electric start one so you can keep using the boat while your are looking.

if you are handy and could find a parts motor so you could swap out all of the parts, you might be able to get it done
          Last edited by 99yam40; 09-02-2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X