115 hp oil tank problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 hp oil tank problem

my 1984 115 hp yamaha started showing the following problem: the oil tank on the engine is overflowing and causing oil to leak out the motor body. I am trying to find out with there are different sensors to tell the reserve tank - under the dash - to fill the tank on the engine and a different sensor somewhere to tell the pump to stop - that means the tank on the engine is full. Any help is greatly appreciated. - Thanks
    kl smith

kls,
    The local tank houses a level switch and a remote pump con*****er. The level switch, I believe, is a floating mercury switch that rides up/down a shaft and sends a signal to the con*****er when the tank needs oil and when it is full.
    (Do a search on this forum - this has been discussed in detail.)
    I believe you can remove the level sensor and turn it upside down to simulate a "full" condition, and with the ignition on, the remote tank should stop pumping. If not, then bad level switch or bad con*****er.
    A Yamaha shop manual will have the test procedure for the above components - you can get one online at www.yamahapubs.com.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

kls... I had the same problem on a '87 115. Its the oil control unit. there is a tilt switch inside the control unit that tells it when the motor is tilted up and to not send oil to the powerhead oil tank. The good news is they are pretty cheap to by used on the internet, Try ebay. good luck

Comment

Working...
      X