2019 new Yamaha 70 hp tilt/trim power line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 new Yamaha 70 hp tilt/trim power line

2019 new Yamaha 70 hp tilt/trim power line were submersed in the water?

1. The tilt and trim seems to be waterproof?
    2. Should i tilt the motor when this happens? Can’t see the left side of the motor when i sit in my helm
    3. Should i re-mount the outboard to higher position?
    Captain steve - 1974 wellcraft airslot 165 with 2019 Yamaha 70

see picture
    Attached Files

Comment

"Submersed" means completely under water - as in "sank". Is that what you mean? If so, there are other issues.

It's hard to see from that picture exactly what is happening. It's certainly not abnormal to have some splashing onto the cowling at certain speeds - especially if there are transducers or a ladder left down and such. Again, with the words and the angle of the picture, I can't really see what is going on - but if it's the normal amount of splashing, I wouldn't worry about it. The switch is designed for it.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

No. It is not completely submersed all the time. It is splashed all over the tilt/trim wire at about 13 to 15 miles an hour boat speed. I will rinse the salt off after each saltwater use and thanks.
        i will post a 20 seconds video next to show exactly what happened.

Comment

13-15 mph is what I was wondering about when I said "at certain speeds". That's normal. At that speed, the boat is really plowing through the water making a big trough (inefficient, and generally working the engine very hard). You're not quite yet up on plane so the back end is really digging in.

Comment

https://youtu.be/Z0VA9iJJudU - here is the 18 seconds video for a better look of the water splashing onto the wire. At times, it was completely submersed!!!

Comment

Yup, as mentioned, pretty much normal at those speeds. What is that hose that is attached to the engine where the power trim/tilt would be? Is that the power trim/tilt feed wire? Why is that not routed through the rigging tube? That's not the normal type of setup to have - I can't comment on how waterproof that is without knowing more about it.
              Last edited by DennisG01; 08-27-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

F70_port_3-4.jpgF70_port_3-4.jpg

Comment

Have a look at the picture...is yours attached to the engine like that. Seems like it may be flopping around a bit.

That harness and tilt trim unit are supposed to be waterproof and are able to be submerged.

As long as it is attached properly don't worry about it.

Comment

WOW nice pictures. i will check again. The motor has only 16 hours and under 3 years Warrenty.

Comment

Panasonic - that clears up what I was imagining. I thought there was some kind of wire directly attached/coming out of the switch in the cowling.

Y18 - think of it this way... you are physically SEEING the water hitting those waterproof cables. But those cables also go into the middle of the bracket where you don't see them and they probably get splashed by even MORE water. That part doesn't bother you because you don't see it, you know? It's just that you are actually seeing it and it's making you wonder. But, yeah, as mentioned a bunch of times - nothing to worry about. Plenty of other engines running around with the same setup.

Comment

Is that boat rated for 70 hp engine? Maybe it is just the way I am looking at it but the engine seems to be sitting pretty low in the water??

Yamaha 18 is the engine mounted properly to the transom, height wise? The cavitation plate even with the bottom of the boat?

Perhaps you can post a picture of the boat out of the water?

Again maybe it's just the angle of the video that makes it look like that...

Comment

Working...
                        X