stalls/stops when accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stalls/stops when accelerating

2000 yamaha F100TLRY - starts/idles OK? but when you put load/accelerate, engine stops but starts back up.
    Last edited by groveboy; 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM.

Model # will be asked for

Monitor fuel pressures

Comment

F100TLRY - Engine has 4 carbs. Hoping to buy boat/motor from my uncle but he hasn't used often. Starts occasionally in yard but hasn't put in water for some time. We took for test run and motor would start/idle but when we put in gear to accelerate, motor would not rev and stopped. Started each time but no success pass that. Pulled spark plugs, most were wet and black, only 1 was clean/dry with normal firing appearance. I'm sure it has old gas and he added new gas to tank. Removed fuel/water separator filter, very little trash, gas was a little cloudy. He wants to clean carbs?
      THANKS

Comment

Adding new fuel to old bad fuel gets you more bad fuel.

If you clean the carbs make sure to drain tank and lines and flush them out all the way to the carbs before installing the cleaned carbs.

You will find that there are special vacuum gauges needed to sync the carbs after they are cleaned

Comment

Yes, that's what i told uncle about gas. trying to get him to renew all gas, a little stubborn. If all gas and filter renewed, carb bowls drained, any chance not to remove/clean carbs, i understand your not a fortune teller. Just don't want him to touch carbs, trying to talk him into bringing to shop if carbs are touched. How do you feel about spraying carb cleaner?
          THANKS

Comment

spraying carb cleaner from out side will not clean the insides.

Might hook up a portable tank with new gas and flush all lines, pump, and carb bowls real good until you get the new fuel everywhere and the old stuff out to see if that helps, but good chance it will not

Comment

+1^^^

The carbs need to come off and the idle and main jets cleaned. With it idling, sounds as if the mains are varnished closed.

After the carbs are off, pull the float bowls and PULL the jets, DON'T JUST SPRAY them. If you can't see light thru them, it don't count..

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html

Parts #11 and #12 are what needs to come out and cleaned.. Get rid of all varnish in there too.

Once re-assembled fuel stabilizer used regularly and a fuel system cleaner helps as well, Yamaha's "Ringfree" works extremly well..
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

i agree with needing to remove carbs and clean.
                Any suggestion on which cleaner to use? don't want to harm any carb parts.
                THANKS FOR ADVISE AND TIME

Comment

I will, have to convince Uncle first, get rid of all old fuel and flush prior to removing carbs.
                  THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE AND TIME.
                  Will update when actions are taken.

Comment

with this particular carb models you will have to get them cleaned properly as they seem to block very quick if stored for a long time
                    you should get the filters to changed as they might be carrying some residue from the old fuel which is like varnish and they really stick to the carb jets and you will encounter acceleration problems

Comment

word of advice.
                      once all the fuel lines are off the carbs let them dry in the sun.
                      once dried take a good light and look down the lines.
                      if they are covered in a yellowish powder,REPLACE all the lines under the hood.
                      would not hurt to rebuild the fuel pump about now either.

Comment

will check all gas lines on motor after they have dried.
                        also thinking about changing all fuel lines from tank to motor. would like to replace with Trident "Barrier Lined" Type A1-15 Marine Fuel Hose #365, a little pricey but seems to be excellent stuff.

Which cleaner for carbs would yall recommend?

THANKS AGAIN
                        Last edited by groveboy; 09-03-2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Any good carb cleaner is fine on the hard (metal) parts/jets. Just make sure you can visably see thru the jets, that's most likely where your issues will be.

I use brake cleaner on other orifices/parts that may come in contact with rubber/plastic as its not nearly as aggressive as carb cleaner and shouldn't cause any damage.
                          Scott

Comment

Still working on problem. Cost to rebuild 4 carbs is $800+. Is this price typical?

Comment

Don't know, never paid somene to clean one. I do them myself...

Rodbolt should have an estimate..
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X