random cam position sensor error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random cam position sensor error

My Yamaha 250 runes great never players down but sometimes after running it a while usually after my second run of the day getting on plane I get a code 72. Stop the engine and restart it the light goes off. Any thoughts? Again it doesn’t seem to bother anything would it be the sensor?

I have two 2006 F250s and have changed 4 out the 6 in the last few years. There are 3 on each engine, two identical and one at a different angle, but the same design. They seldom cause a noticeable problem. One of them, the port exhaust is a back up to the crankshaft position sensor since the exhaust valves are not variable. If they go bad permanently, they send a bad signal to the ECU and then will cause problems. Buy them thru Ebay from China and are very easy to change.

Comment

some motors have Variable cams, and when the filter on the oil that makes them move is restricted, it can cause problems.
      not saying that is your problem, but something to check out

Comment

The F250 intakes are variable. However, once I changed the sensors, the problem goes away and doesn't recur. I believe the sensors get old and don't sense the lobe passing as well as when new. Also at some point in the serial number run, Yamaha added a capacitor to the wiring harness, in line with the port exhaust cam sensor. Maybe it was in response to intermittent codes? Yamaha USA said they didn't know the answer and said only Japan knows. Seems to be a very common issue, but not disabling.

Comment

Working...
        X