Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    No problem..

IMO, with the parts in hand, I'd just pull the unit (just those two big pins and plug) and run the unit down to the shop.

Bet there isn't an hour in labor and your shop could knock that out inbetween jobs... You would have the majority (R&R) of it done.

Just make sure they have done those valves before and aren't learning on your unit..
    To answer your questions:
    1) I would have brought it to the shop in the first place, but they were booked solid. So I bought the two parts and picked them up in advance (which they had to order, and is what they said they would need to have on hand if/when an opening came up), and was planning to try to go back to the shop later when they had time. However, when I stopped in the other day to get some 150mm top transom mounting bolts, and the head mechanic realized I had the engine off the transom, he said "Well shoot, you can replace these: just remove them with a big screwdriver, and put the new ones in "good and tight" with some grease." So that's how I even thought of doing it myself.

From what he said, I have no reason to remove the PTT since I can get to both screws because the engine is off the transom and on a hoist at the moment (at home).

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    its one of the more difficult units Yamaha ever used to mess about with.
    if that shop does not have the correct tooling its possible to destroy the ram assy trying to disassemble it.
    I appreciate your help, but now I'm really confused. This may not be the world's best shop, but the head mechanic is not wet behind the ears either, and seems decent. So he said it would be pretty simple to change these valves (#50) since I have the engine hanging by a hoist. However, I have no tooling, and zero desire to wreck the ram assembly right before I leave on a trip (or ever, really). So is this guy just totally wrong? Or are we talking about two different things? What he said was to take a large, flat-bladed screwdriver and remove the two #50 parts that are on there now (which I can access without removing the PTT since the engine is hanging on a hoist), then put some grease on the new ones and put them in tight. Even if he sucks, would he have told me to do something that had a high chance of messing things up? He could tell I'm an amateur and have no specific Yamaha tooling. But I mean, I don't really know him from Adam, and you sound really knowledgeable, so now I don't really understand what to think

I'd have no problem taking it to a good shop, however if I can do something on my own, I don't mind that either. Also, I won't be near another good shop that I know (a place in Florida that rebuilt the carbs on my F80 when I first bought it and it purrs like a kitten) until probably February. Probably won't have the engine off the transom again until I re-power someday. And I'm leaving on a long trip with the boat in a week (this Washington shop will not have any openings before I leave)

Thanks for your help,
    Northwester
    Last edited by Northwester; 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I've never replaced those valves and have no experiance with them short of looking at the parts fisch.

The parts fisch looks simply enough.

I mentioned going to the shop as Rodbolt, mentioned the potential difficulty with them.. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything but again, I have NO hands on experiance with it.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

You got the valve and the assembly is ripe for removal from the motor. Try the new valve. No rocket science there. It may or may not fix the problem.

If it does fix the problem then well and good. If not, then you can consider having a shop open up the assembly.

If it were my motor I would just tilt it to the full up position and use the locking lever to hold it. This assumes that when underway the assembly is working normally.

For that matter, some times when it is powered up to the tilt regime, a sharp tug downward on the skeg will sometimes help to seat a check valve within the unit and it might, just might, then stay up on its own.

Sometimes a PTT assembly gets opened up to fix a minor problem. The problem then becomes major.

Comment

ME?????
          I would dog it till its dead then complain about how the techs didn't know jack and Yamaha sucks.

I posted the reasons for drift down.

its kinda like riplys, believe it or not.

Comment

i wouldn't worry too much about it if it goes down in 24hr i would just top up the fluid and sometimes it fixes the problemF100 DETL and F80 which are same engines except the air restrictor in F80 its a common problem with these engines to drop down as is the case with all 2004 models till late2006 until they rectified it

Comment

ME?????
              I would dog it till its dead then complain about how the techs didn't know jack and Yamaha sucks.

I posted the reasons for drift down.

its kinda like riplys, believe it or not.
              Rodbolt,

I don't totally follow your reply, although I appreciate your taking the time to help. In case it didn't come through, I respect good mechanics, and typically I do take my engine in to them to have it repaired or worked on. I like everything to be working properly and try to take good care of my equipment. I had the engine completely gone through at a good Yamaha shop when I bought the boat, and zero quibbles with the shop or the work they did.

I was just trying to reconcile what you had written with what the local shop had suggested, so I could decide how best to proceed.

Originally posted by madharchod View Post
              i wouldn't worry too much about it if it goes down in 24hr i would just top up the fluid and sometimes it fixes the problem
              The trouble is that it goes down after 1-2 hours, so if I'm beached for the night (or anchored in shallow water) the skeg ends up "around." I can put it on the tilt lever, but that's a slight pain when I'm solo, and plus I just like things working right.

I can't really add fluid as it is already full (and has not been low any time I have checked it).

Originally posted by madharchod View Post
              ...F80 its a common problem with these engines to drop down as is the case with all 2004 models till late2006 until they rectified it
              Ah, I didn't realize that. I only know a couple of people with this engine (one has a 1999 F80 and one a 2003 F75, which I believe is basically the same engine), and neither of them have had the problem -- but that's a small sample size.

I'll replace the #50 valves for now, since I have them in hand and the shop can't get to me at this time. If that doesn't fix it, I'll use the tilt lever for this trip, and then take it in to a Yamaha shop in February (the one I went to when I first bought the boat, who did quite a bit of work and I had zero complaints).

Thanks again,
              Northwester
              Last edited by Northwester; 09-03-2014, 01:51 AM.

Comment

I don't know what they used for the NON US market.
                but the 67F unit is fairly complex and not many techs got to play with them.
                however it takes about 15 min to lay the unit on the bench.

Comment

I don't know what they used for the NON US market.
                  I don't either, but everyone I know has a US engine and I'm in the US.

but the 67F unit is fairly complex and not many techs got to play with them.
                  however it takes about 15 min to lay the unit on the bench.
                  If/when I end up taking it in I'll make sure it's someone familiar with it. Thanks for letting me know it's a bit unusual and complex.

The new 115B has my ears perked up.... haven't been able to see one in person yet, but... I'm tempted. I'll see what happens when I get to my known shop this late winter.

Thanks all,
                  Northwester

Comment

Working...
                  X