1994 carbed 250 loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 carbed 250 loss of power

Ok guys, I could use a little help. I recently purchased a used 1994 Yamaha carbed 250hp. It is installed on 1987 23' proline walkaround. After installing it I did some testing on a local freshwater lake.(I love 90 minutes to the saltwater) i put 2 hours of runtime while building confidence in the motor. I took it down to the salt water and I have been having some strange issues.
    First the idle seams to be rougher. Also it seams to be having a strange issue getting on plane. Once it is on plane it runs good. Last trip out while full throttle trying to get on plane I experienced a strange RPM surge of about 3-400 RPM. It would jump from 3800 to about 4400. When the RPMs jumped upnt seemed like it was strong then it would drop 400 and struggle to push the boat faster.

Ok so this boat has a brand new fuel tank. It has brand new fuel filters( water separator canister in boat) and small filter on port side of motor under cowling. The motor came with champion spark plugs installed that look brand new. I did a compression check on the motor before I installed it and it was 115-118 across all 6 cylinders.

Some more information that may be valid I'm not sure. I have installed the yamaha multifunction tach. The temperature icon has a flashing bar above it. But no warning buzzer. If I pull the oil sensor on the side of the engine the buzzer sounds and the oil icon has the flashing bar above it as well.

I have installed new plugs and clean sanded every ground strap I could find. Still no change.

I read about a winky blinky tool but dont know what part number I need considering it's a carburetor motor

You didn't mention anything about the carbs being checked or cleaned so I would assume nothing was done there by you?

As ethanol fuel causes major issues, especially if left for over a month, not stabilized and the engine is new to you, I would be tearing into those first.
    The main and idle jets tend to varnish closed, again especially if the engine sat with fuel in the carbs...

You can click above on: "By Yamaha Outboard Parts", type in your year, model, etc and bring up a carb picture to see what's where..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention the carbs and fuel pumps have been inspected and are clean and the diaphragms are in good shape

Comment

Re the carbs being inspected, ALL JETS were REMOVED and visibly inspected that light could be seen thru them, correct?
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes sir they were all clean as a whistle

Comment

Working...
          X