Spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacer

wonder why the brass spacer in front of prop would crack. Pulled props to change water pumps and found port side broken in half and starboard side cracked.

Not torqued properly when installed?

Comment

Torqued to 40# by the service manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Silva Bullet View Post
        Torqued to 40# by the service manual.
        Must be big motor my F60 is 25

Comment

Installed backwards (outside in) is about the only way I'd think that would happen.

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Naw...it’s installed correctly

Comment

Since it's so rare for this to happen, I would normally chalk it up to just a freak thing or a defect in the spacer. But since the same thing happened (will happen) to BOTH spacers, then that first answer doesn't cut it. Either there's something wrong with how it was installed (honestly, this would be the most logical explanation) or there is an issue with BOTH drivetrains or somehow you hit something with both engines - but even that would be a pretty rare thing to cause that spacer to crack.

Maybe beating on the engines - really hard starts - over time can do it?

I dunno - defintely a strange thing to happen, but I certainly don't think it's any kind of defect.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

The chances of any one thrust washer cracking is damn near zero. Two cracking at or about the same time, on twin motors, indicates to me that the probability is that it was something to do with the installation of said washers.

Comment

I am thinking wrong washers
                  I have had wrong thrust washer sent with new prop before

Comment

The spacer/thrust washer on my 1999 C90 is stainless steel....why are some now made of brass?

Comment

Working...
                    X