Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging battery

Hey folks,

I have a 40HR 6H4s (handstart something in the middle 80s). Someone seems to have fitted it with some rectifier. Don' know if it is the original part or not. When machine is ideling there is something about 12V DC. But when powering up the engine the voltage climes over 14V. As I want to charge a gel-battery, I'm looking for some con*****ed charging. Does the 40hp-modell with e-start has con*****ed charging and if so, is it possible to fit my modell with parts of the e-start modell? Thirdparty parts are also welcome. My batterie will be quiet small: just for NAVI-lights, radio and music.

Thanx in advance,
    Chris

The older 40 only came with the rectifier not a regulator but it was only a 6 amp alternator and should charge your battery without any problems.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Chris,
      As long as the voltage on that gel-cell battery does not climb above 14 volts, I think you will be ok with the raw-rectified-unregulated
      voltage coming from the motor.
      You might want to check the charging specs on that particular battery - try going to the web page of the manufacturer. I believe 14 volts is about what a gel-cell battery charger would charge it to.
      On my wet cell starting battery for my Yamaha C115, the charging/regulator charges it to 14.6 volts.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X