Yamaha 115 4 stroke piston fitments between years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 4 stroke piston fitments between years

Okay, so I was wondering if pistons from the 2001-2006 block will fit a block from 2006 and later f115 block. Yamaha shows them as different part numbers. One site I found shows that they have pistons for a Yamaha 115 that fits the years 2000-2014 (offshoremarineparts.com) while other sites show pistons from 2001-2006 are different from pistons in 2006+ models. They are both the same bore STD bore size.

According to my transom sticker my Yamaha engine is a 2010. I realized my Yamaha has forged wiseco pistons in them and when I search the part number they come up as 2001-2006 Yamaha 115 pistons. Now I don’t know if my motor is really a 2010 or not. Is there anywhere in the block stamped with a number?

What does the Yamaha parts catalog tell you?

What does the boats.net website tell you about usage of a part number 68V-W1164-00-00 piston?

Comment

If part numbers change then a -01-00 is normally a replacement for a -00-00. Likewise, a -02-00 is normally a replacement for a -01-00. So on and so forth.

If the -00-00 is replaced by a -10-00 for instance then there is generally no supercedure. Note the position of the 1 in the dash numbers.

Comment

By my serial number for my 2010 engine it comes up with 68v-w1164-02-00 and for a 2001-2006 it comes up with 68v-w1164-00-00. But by the way you explain it, it’s just a upgraded replacement part as the years go on.

boscoe99 That explains why my pistons come up as 2001-2006 wiseco forged pistons. Seems to me some sites list them separately like they don’t want people like me to know the parts are interchangeable between the f115 blocks. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by B3njammin89 View Post
          By my serial number for my 2010 engine it comes up with 68v-w1164-02-00 and for a 2001-2006 it comes up with 68v-w1164-00-00. But by the way you explain it, it’s just a upgraded replacement part as the years go on.

boscoe99 That explains why my pistons come up as 2001-2006 wiseco forged pistons. Seems to me some sites list them separately like they don’t want people like me to know the parts are interchangeable between the f115 blocks. Thank you
          I suspect they don't say because they don't know.

Yamaha would have no idea what Wiseco pistons could be used in your motor. They only know (or care to know) about the Yamaha pistons that will fit your motor. Similarly, Wiseco may not know what Yamaha pistons could be used in your motor. Each typically only cares about its own pistons. Piston/connecting rod in this instance.

Look at the Yamaha parts catalogs for 2001 ~ 2005 F115 pistons. I see piston/con rod 68V-W1164-00-00 being used. Beginning with F115's produced in April of 2005 they used a 68V-W1164-01-00 piston/rod. Then in April of 2009 they began to use a 68V-W1164-02-00 piston/rod. The -02-00 piston was used for all of the remaining F115TLR/TXR/TJR models. Also used on F115XA/LA/JA models.

It was not until the F115XB/LB/JB models were offered that the complete piston/rod part number was changed. That was the end of the F115 piston/rod supercedure.

Point of all of this is to emphasize the importance of stating the complete model number of a motor. An F115 is not an F115 is not an F115.

Comment

boscoe99 So the 68v-w1164-00-00 oem piston should fit the same as 68v-w1164-02-00? Basically just a newer part number?

Comment

I only ask because my motor is a 2010 and when I look up the wiseco pistons installed in my boat they come up as 2001-2006 f115.

Comment

makes you wonder what the difference is between the old pistons and the 01 and 02 new piston designs

Comment

Originally posted by B3njammin89 View Post
                  boscoe99 So the 68v-w1164-00-00 oem piston should fit the same as 68v-w1164-02-00? Basically just a newer part number?
                  Yes. Some design change was made. But it did not affect interchangeability.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    makes you wonder what the difference is between the old pistons and the 01 and 02 new piston designs
                    I looked but could not find any explanation. Did find where an F200/F225 piston was changed so that the top thickness was increased. Stated reason was for increased durability.zf200.jpg

Comment

so now the OP has to find out if the wiseco pistons are the same or totally different in that design.

the manufacturers usually change things for a good reason

Comment

Early F115's suffered from a detonation problem. Usually damaging pistons # 2 and 3. The Yamaha piston changes could have been to increase the strength of the piston to mitigate any detonation damage. Ala the F200/F22 piston change. At some point Yamaha introduced a knock sensor into the F115 model.

The F200/F225TXR models also used no knock sensor.

Many over on Bass Boat Central seem to think that Wiseco pistons are more durable than Yamaha pistons. The big block HPDI's don't have a knock sensor either and are prone to being damaged due to detonation. One part of a bigger solution is to use the Wiseco pistons. Don't know if they are better but they are a hellava lot cheaper.

Comment

Thank you both for the knowledge. It all makes sense.

boscoe99 I definitely noticed they are cheaper than going back to oem.

Comment

Yet the drawing from left to right has not changed. I wonder where that extra top 1 mm was taken from? Surely not an increase in compression ratio?

On the question of other makers providing parts, it is becoming more sensible that manufacturers source manufacture of certain components from established leaders and don't "make" these things themselves (Yam never made Yamalube). Yamaha motorcycles are accepting more and more eg brakes and forks and wheels.
                            I think a manufacturer embracing aftermarket components only helps their brand, it doesn't make their product inferior but more versatile and therefore of greater appeal to more people (customers).

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                              Yet the drawing from left to right has not changed. I wonder where that extra top 1 mm was taken from? Surely not an increase in compression ratio?

On the question of other makers providing parts, it is becoming more sensible that manufacturers source manufacture of certain components from established leaders and don't "make" these things themselves (Yam never made Yamalube). Yamaha motorcycles are accepting more and more eg brakes and forks and wheels.
                              I think a manufacturer embracing aftermarket components only helps their brand, it doesn't make their product inferior but more versatile and therefore of greater appeal to more people (customers).
                              The ring part number has changed. Perhaps they are now a few thou less thick. Maybe the second and third ring lands are less thick. Who knows but mamalama Yamaha?

Comment

Working...
                              X