gasket or O ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gasket or O ring

Will an O-ring work in place of the flat gasket on the 2 drain plugs in the lower unit? I used a flat one the last time and they seem to dry out and cracked allowing oil to leak. thanks

It might work - personally I would not risk it.
    O-rings are typically used in a design which captures it in a confined space- so it is unable to “escape” by squeezing out.
    Also, the flexibility of the o-ring makes it impossible to “tighten ‘ the plug - which risks the plug backing out.

Yamaha has in recent years changed to a “plastic “ gasket - have you tried that?

personally I find the traditional “fiber” gasket to be completely satisfactory and trouble -free.
    But I suppose nothing is “foolproof “

Comment

I agree - it might work for a short time, but it's not a "better" solution. For whatever reason, you had a bad experience with the gasket... maybe an inferior brand... maybe a defect... maybe it was in there for 10 years... but that is, by far, an extremely rare thing to happen. Get a good quality gasket and just chalk it up to a freak thing. Working in the industry, I see A LOT of these things and can absolutely tell you that it's by no means a common thing to happen. Very, very rare.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Yes sometimes inappropriate to use O rings. Use the flat gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by jlslavey View Post
          Will an O-ring work in place of the flat gasket on the 2 drain plugs in the lower unit? I used a flat one the last time and they seem to dry out and cracked allowing oil to leak. thanks
          I believe it's recommended to replace those red flat fiber washers each time the plug is removed...I have used mine more than once but never had any issues with leaking or loosening...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post

I believe it's recommended to replace those red flat fiber washers each time the plug is removed...I have used mine more than once but never had any issues with leaking or loosening...
            Plus 1 ^^^. Just replace with new GASKETS.

The LU threaded hole has a flat surface. The drain plugs are also have a FLAT surface. As noted above, O-rings usually go into slots (which there is none)

With two flat surfaces the drain plug SHOULD have a gasket.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

seems like when I replace those gaskets, after a short while I can tighten them up a little more.
              noticed a small sign of oil around the screw and then give the screw a little turn.
              then no more problems after that

Comment

[QUOTE=99yam40;n219445]seems like when I replace those gaskets, after a short while I can tighten them up a little more.

And this has been my experience with the red Yamaha versions. Re-torque after using the first couple trips. Maybe they absorb a bit of oil? The new Yam version is black. I have a set but not installed yet. Where is Walleye? He ordered these things 100 at a time.

no need to reengineer, my thought.

Comment

After properly torquing the drain and fill plugs when using the appropriate gaskets I like to fill the drain and fill plug holes with 5200. Fair it to facilitate better and smoother water flow. Never have had one leak or a plug to back out.

https://www.protorquetools.com/1-4-d...SABEgLHd_D_BwE

Comment

Boscoe been drinking tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      seems like when I replace those gaskets, after a short while I can tighten them up a little more.
                      noticed a small sign of oil around the screw and then give the screw a little turn.
                      then no more problems after that
                      Exactly, same here. Just once thou, after an outing.

No oil leakage thou, just a re-check and tighten.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                      X