Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest crank size bearings

2004 F225txr

Brought the crank to my machinist to see about turning it. Has sever gouges in it that I'm not sure we can take out.

What's the biggest size bearings available? Looking on boats.net, the bearing part numbers and in -00, -10, and -20. I'm assuming this is the bearing size...so STD, .010 and .020 oversize bearings.

Is .020 really the biggest they offer? I know they go by color too, and pretty sure there's a lot more color combinations than that.

Frustrating thing is, I called Yamaha directly and the rep wanted nothing to do with me but to instead call the dealer and they will explain more. I asked why the dealer knows more than the Yamaha HQ does? They said they had very skilled techs at the HQ but we're only allowed to deal with the dealers, not public customers.

My biggest thing is...okay, so I get you're trying to corner the market and price gouge the hell out of people...ignoring all those issues, I understand the ****.

But what happens when you have a 15+ year old engine that dealers automatically won't touch just due to age? Around here dealers will ONLY work on stuff around 5-7 years old.

I hate Yamaha to the core. They screw the customer time and time again over petty stuff to get 2 extra dollars.

Anyways, sorry for side rant, what's the largest size?

PS. I did try calling other dealers from out of state. Stopped after one guy told me the largest bearing even available were the bearings that already came on the crank from factory, and I'd have to move up to the new XTO if I wanted bigger bearings for my crank....wtf (if you don't know, you don't know...just be quiet).

Originally posted by Masonmobilemarine View Post
    2004 F225txr
    Brought the crank to my machinist to see about turning it. Has sever gouges in it that I'm not sure we can take out. Crank could be ground, welded up and then ground back to a standard size.

What's the biggest size bearings available? Looking on boats.net, the bearing part numbers and in -00, -10, and -20. I'm assuming this is the bearing size...so STD, .010 and .020 oversize bearings. Yamaha does not size their bearings by decimals. Colour coded only. You could measure the three bearing colours to see what the difference in dimensions are.

Is .020 really the biggest they offer? I know they go by color too, and pretty sure there's a lot more color combinations than that. There are only three bearing sizes available. Standard, first oversize and second oversize.

Frustrating thing is, I called Yamaha directly and the rep wanted nothing to do with me but to instead call the dealer and they will explain more. I asked why the dealer knows more than the Yamaha HQ does? They said they had very skilled techs at the HQ but we're only allowed to deal with the dealers, not public customers. The man on the phone at Yamaha is more than likely not a technical person. The technical folks are there to discuss matters with dealers only. By the way, that is not the Yamaha HQ. Yamaha USA is a distributorship only. HQ is in Japan.

My biggest thing is...okay, so I get you're trying to corner the market and price gouge the hell out of people...ignoring all those issues, I understand the ****.

But what happens when you have a 15+ year old engine that dealers automatically won't touch just due to age? Around here dealers will ONLY work on stuff around 5-7 years old. Contact Jasper Engines who are conversant with rebuilding Yamaha two and four stroke models. https://www.jasperengines.com/yamaha-outboard-motors

I hate Yamaha to the core. They screw the customer time and time again over petty stuff to get 2 extra dollars.

Anyways, sorry for side rant, what's the largest size?

PS. I did try calling other dealers from out of state. Stopped after one guy told me the largest bearing even available were the bearings that already came on the crank from factory, and I'd have to move up to the new XTO if I wanted bigger bearings for my crank....wtf (if you don't know, you don't know...just be quiet).
    Have the crank ground as necessary. Install the largest bearing that Yamaha offers. It is either with in or with out the limits. If outside the limits then either a new crank shaft will be needed or the worn crank shaft can be build up and reground to specifications.

Comment

I responded but when I tried to post a link to Jasper Engines it got flagged as spam. Hopefully it will show up tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X