Fuel Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Problem

I have a 2010 60hp four stroke that after about 15min at an idle under a load the motor runs out of fuel and stalls. It can run all day in a tank and on the hose, but under a load it last about 15. It will also runs all day as long as it not at an idle in gear (top end). If someone sits back buy the motor and pumps the ball it will stay running for a few minutes.

Thing I have changed/tried

New pick up in the tank
    New hoses (ALL OF THEM)
    New Ball
    New connector to the motor
    New water separator
    New Fuel filter(S)
    New Fuel pump

The first thing to usually do in cases like this is just run the engine on a portable tank. That eliminates all boat-related fuel equipment and keeps you from spending money on things you don't need to. That would STILL be a good idea to do in this case. Another quick thought... it could be a venting issue. If the tank vent is clogged up it can cause that exact problem. Check your vent out and/or run with the fuel cap off to test. If the issue is still present after using a portable tank, then post back to get help on what's going on at the engine as it could be a LP/HP fuel pump/strainer/etc issue.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Something is handicapping the performance of your new fuel pump;
      its able to keep up when demand is low (not under load)
      and when the pump is running fast (rpms faster than idle).

You replaced the inline screen/filter between the pump and the VST?
      If so, the problem must be on the suction side.

Either it is fighting against too much vacuum (from a yet-unknown restriction)
      or it is pulling air in from a leak.

I would Tee in a vacuum gauge (inexpensive fuel pump tester)
      immediately before the pump and se what it shows
      (vacuum should be almost nil)

You can also patch in a short length of clear tubing right before the pump
      if its sucking air somewhere, you will see bubbles.

Comment

You replaced the inline screen/filter between the pump and the VST?

Yes inline screen was replaced.

I will try portable tank, I honestly never thought of that to eliminate if tank or motor. If on motor side I will try fuel pump tester and clear tube.

Thank you both

Comment

make sure the fuel cooler is clear, if that is ok, then I suggest to replace the engine low pressure fuel filter top, this is the filter with the water sensor in the bowl, however the top cannot be bought on its own, the filter assy must be repaced, I have had these with a undetectable crack in the top hsg, this causes the fuel pump to suck air not fuel @ low speed, higher speed it does not cause any problems, I have found this issue multiple times now.

Comment

Working...
          X