At my witt's end with this 15hp outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At my witt's end with this 15hp outboard

Okay I've been trying to fix this outboard for a family member for about a week now on and off and I'm about to pop a vein in frustration. Not a boat guy, work on cars but it's all the same mostly and I'm learning the specifics as I go.

Anyway here's the deal. I don't have the specifics on it forgot to grab the serial code, but it look's like a late 80's model. 15hp and 2-stroke. Runs good, put new fuel in it, let it sit for a week and wouldn't start just cranked over. Looks like water in the fuel, smells funky. Carburetor main jet is completely clogged. Clean filter, lines, carburetor and jets and put back together.

Fires right up, sounds great. Except it's not, if you hold the throttle past like 50% it has a very noticeable bog and won't rev any higher. It will only run for about 10 seconds before it bogs and sputters out and if you start it up again it usually stalls within a few seconds. It seems like a fuel starvation issue but I can't see where the fuel flow is getting restricted. Bowl is full of fuel, filter is full, primer bulb is stiff. Choke makes it stall out a little less quick, and pumping the bulb doesn't seem to have any effect. The fuel pump is multiple diaphragms on the side of the carb body, I've taken it apart multiple times and don't see anything wrong.

I am completely lost and frustrated at a problem which exists but I don't see where or how. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Video of it stalling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-q...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Moffman7; 08-21-2014, 10:53 PM.

replace the fuel lines, sometimes they crack inside and trap debris.
    rebuild the carb and pump.
    carefully check the oring on the engine quick connect.
    carefully check all remote tank connections.

Comment

Working...
    X