2001 150 HPDI troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 150 HPDI troubleshooting

Hey everyone, so I started up my boat the other day, it has a 2001 150 HPDI on it. I've never had a problem with it, but after running for a few minutes, it just died. I tried turning it on again, but it wouldn't start. Then all the electronics having to do with the engine died (no ignition, no gauges, no trim.) I found out that the "Main Switch/Trim Switch" fuse had blown, and the "Engine Control Unit/Ignition Coil/Electronic Fuel Pump" fuse had also blown. I replaced them, and tried firing up the engine again, but it will not fire, and the "ECU/IC/EFP" fuse has blown again. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

My thought is, which 150 HPDI? There are more than one. Is it a Z150***X or a VZ150***X?

Why is it so difficult to type a few extra letters or numbers?

Comment

Usually electrical failures occur on startup and not shortly (excuse pun) thereafter eg.Light bulb blows immediately after switch is turned on. It would generally take some other thing such as heating, vibration or movement for a failure to occur.
      I say this, as there almost is a science dedicated to understanding electrical failures; pretty much all of which are mechanical in nature.
      For a fuse to blow means this fault is not one of conductor or connection failure such as through wear or corrosion but rather excessive current began to flow, it may have gradually built up or came on suddenly.

First I would check all the wires and connections to see if anything may have come in contact where it shouldn't through vibration. Then depending upon other responses you may have to confirm a faulty component with the use of a multimeter.

Comment

Is it blowing with the "key on" ONLY, or when CRANKING it blows?

Do you get power to the gauges, again, at "key on"? Or does that blow right away?

For discussion purposes, there's NO CRANK-(engine doesn't spin over) and
        NO START-(engine cranks over but NO starting)
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

So after looking at it again this morning, as soon as I turn the key to accesory, the ECU/Ignition coil/Electronic Fuel Pump fuse blows instantly. So I'm thinking it must be a grounding issue somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X