Saltwater in Tilt Trim Reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saltwater in Tilt Trim Reservoir

We have twin 2005 F250s, and I noticed some oil sheen behind the boat today and started searching. Turns out there is a hole in the top of the tilt trim reservoir, so we were likely running the last couple days with water getting into the Tilt Trim System. I want to get the saltwater out as quickly as possible.

Been reading up and see that there is not a drain or an easy way to just flush through new fluid and the recommend is to take it apart and manually remove all the contaminated fluid? If that’s the case, how far do I need to tear it down? Take all three rams apart, motor off? Anything else I need to be aware of?

These are are nice low hour motors, so would like to do it right.

Is there another way to flush it? Appreciate the advice.

As you noted, the correct way is a full tear down and filling the rams as you re-assemble (and all the old contaminated oil is removed).

*If only one reservoir corroded so far, I'd replace the other as well BEFORE that leaks. You wouldn't have to tear that one down fully, just R&R the part and fill/ prime..
    (Preventive maintenance basically)
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. To close the loop: I did tear down the entire unit, cleaned, and repainted everything. Wasn't too bad to get it done, and I am glad I did it that way as it took a lot of effort to get all the milky oil out of the unit even fully torn down. The hole in the reservoir was not corrosion, but from the engine pin head coming out and sitting on top of the reservoir when trimmed down. Somehow lost the circlip on the end of the pin.

Still need to do the other side though!

Comment

Working...
      X