Bought a used 6 hours outboard but forgot to add engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a used 6 hours outboard but forgot to add engine oil

Hi, please help. Bought a 2019 Yamaha f70 (used only 6 hours) and marina took out all 4 cycle oil so i can transport if home. I started it up to rinse out the salt for 10 minutes (idle speed) but remote control alarm sounded so i shut it off. It finally dawned on me that i am running out of oil after i started it again and alarm sounded again and i shut it off.
    I added 2.2 quarts oil and tried to start it but couldn’t. The remote con*****er just kept sounding the alarm.
    How do i re-set the alarm (remote con*****er or micro-computer) so i can start my almost new outboard l?
    Captain steve - 1974 wellcraft airslot 165 with 2019 Yamaha 70

10 minutes without oil is pretty bad, not too sure why the alarm didn't sound straight away, if it is an oil alarm now, and you have added oil, it should start, unless it's seized.

Comment

This is where you pray the oil taken out was good and fresh and fully synthetic!
      Low oil alert should have gone off before even running I would have thought.

Comment

I would think running a 4 stroke motor without oil for 10 minuets would wipe out all of the bearings.
        screw up the crank and all bearings. oil pump cannot pump enough oil to get any pressure due to clearances being way to large now

Comment

I had seized 1 cylinder chainsaw motor in the past and was able to turn the seized crank shaft free by hand to unseized it by pouring 4 cycle oil into into the spark plug hole and waiting for 24 hours.
          i am going to try pouring 4 cycle oil into the spark plugs and manually turn the shaft to see if i can free it. This will do what the oil pump is supposed to be doing!
          What a disaster!

Comment

that will not help the crank and all of the main and rod bearings that were run without oil

big difference in 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors
            Last edited by 99yam40; 08-01-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I did get an error message flashed on my MFD (multifunction Display) stating engine is shutting down when i turned the key to ON (not Run). That’s why i am thinking the motor may have taken preventive steps from seizing itself and cause more damages.
              I need to somehow find a way to reboot the motor computer to let it know. Oil is now added and can stop shutting down the motor so i can start it.

Comment

strange tale, sad situation.

It appears the F70 has a somewhat surprising low oil pressure alarm scheme
                (I'm curious to check other models)

Of course no engine looks for a minimum oil pressure "immediately" upon starting

there has to be some 'grace period' to allow pressure to build.

But seems the F70 will not alarm for low oil pressure unless:
                - engine temperature is > 104 F
                OR
                rpms are >1400

So suppose one starts a 'cold' engine - without any oil in the oil pan.

Despite zero oil pressure,
                so long as the engine only 'idles' - not exceeding 1400 rpm -
                the ECM will not alarm until it sees an engine temp of 104 degrees.

Comment

Wow. Thx for the 2 conditions. Yes, I actually started it before the alarm sounded after 10 min flushing and tried to slightly push the throttle forward to see whether the handle was the throttle. Never own a new Yamaha before this. Keep in mind, i was rinsing the outboard on my diy outboard stand. So, yes alarm sounded immediately and kept going for another 5 or 10 seconds and i shut off the engine immediately confused. Yes, i stopped troubleshooting for the day and disconnected the battery to motor. Tried starting it the next day and cranked the key twice and alarm sounded again, saw error message flashed again with “engine is shutting down....”. Motor never started and i walked away thinking i need the code reset.
                  will try again later today by removing the motor off the boat and
                  Let it sit on its side hoping the oil will flow to cylinder or pressure sensor will be able to detect the oil and erase the code so i can start again.
                  Last edited by Yamaha18; 08-01-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha18 View Post
                    pressure sensor will be able to detect the oil and erase the code so i can start again.
                    I have never heard of a 4-stroke Yamaha "not starting" because of an alarm condition,
                    Nor of an alarm condition requiring a "reset" other than "key off".

Nor have I heard of a Yamaha ECM sending a "engine is shutting down " NMEA 2000 message.

Comment

ok silly me! after speaking to cdielectronic.com tech support at 866-423-4832 and they confirmed the F70 does not have mechanism to prevent the motor starting. No need to reset the codes. He asked whether the kill switch is activated. Bummer. it then dawned on me that I did activate the kill switch by not inserting the clip back to the remote control to try starting it. He also stated as you guys suspected that the oil pump may be damaged or something else. I asked him to clarify and he stated the motor and oil pump may run fine on water hose fine but in water it may not. The oil pump may also not be fine running at higher RPM. due to the possible damage. I am keeping my fingers crossed for these miracles:
                      1. I will be able to start the motor.
                      2. no more alarm going off assuming I can start the motor.
                      3. .no damage to oil pump or anything

I will report back later and thanks for all your help.

Comment

If I were you I would tee in an oil pressure gauge before you try starting it again,
                        so you can see what the oil pressure is when you start it up.

if the oil pressure does not come up withing a few seconds I would not keep running it.

from what fairdeal wrote you will not get an alarm from no oil pressure unless the motor warms up or you rev it up like it did last time

Comment

Whats the normal oil pressure? In idle and wot? Is there a table by RPM? Thx

Comment

Goes to show, alarm systems have their limits and may not protect the engine.
                            Of course why would you design a system to indicate "someone has taken all the oil out"? At the very least it assumes that oil was put in there in the first place, making it's role to detect a gradual loss of oil (through combustion and not a leak) past a minimum level.

Comment

Incidently I watched an Air Safety investigation on a twin engine airline crash (KLM) where the pilot(s) crashed the perfectly working plane on the basis they had a low oil warning light come on.
                              It was later discovered the light only was faulty, no problem with oil at all.
                              When the light appeared the PIC lowered the throttle for that engine, although when looking at the procedures the oil pressure gauges appeared normal at first, in any case it did not say to reduce throttle. Reducing the throttle then lowered the oil pressure. The pilot eroniously took this to confirm he had an oil problem on that engine.
                              On that basis he returned to the airport. Upon approach he realised he was loosing too much speed through lack of power and opted a go around and immediately powered up,what he thought was his only good engine, and powered the aircraft resulting with a massive turn into the ground.
                              I have to say "the idiot" forgot he had reduced an engine to idle, explaining the loss of speed at approach, and then forgot what would happen applying full power to only one engine in such a situation. The throttle positions (at odds with each other) in full view to both pilots at all times!
                              Now the fatal situation came about in the interpretation of information about oil pressure. There was instruction what to do when this oil light went on, and that was to look at the guage, but because he pulled the throttle to idle the pressure was lower, but Still Within Acceptable limit. He simply did not understand about oil pressure and the airline was critised about their training.

Comment

Working...
                              X