Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

If you were to add a gauge to your motor to watch against running hot what would it be ? have 2012 F115LA
    The engine has something? Alarm? But how do you test and what do you do to get home if it does go off. Concerned that the alarm the engine has if it goes off I am stuck?

WUUUUUUT??????
    dude did you ever stop and look at what your typing.
    it made absolutely no sense.
    yes the engine, regaudless of the rigging will TRY to protrect itself from idiots.

my advice, go play.
    rig it correctly.
    but go play.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1947 View Post
      If you were to add a gauge to your motor to watch against running hot what would it be ? have 2012 F115LA
      The engine has something? Alarm? But how do you test and what do you do to get home if it does go off. Concerned that the alarm the engine has if it goes off I am stuck?
      If I were to add a gauge it would be a temperature gauge. I might also add a water pressure gauge. Low pressure can lead to over temperature. I like gauges. If you saw my last boat you would think it was the ****pit of an old style air liner.

The control box/key switch should have a warning horn. That horn will sound if the motor over temps. It will also sound for low oil pressure. If you hear the alarm stop the motor immediately. Stop to find out what the problem is. Don't keep running the motor as you may ruin it. That is not a warrantable defect.

Pull the kill switch. Crank the motor. The alarm should sound. You will know what it sounds like. If you hear it, stop the motor.

Do you have a Yamaha tachometer? Most will indicate if the problem is over temperature or low oil pressure.

Get your owner's manual out and read it. Forget all the crap up front. Go to the operation section and it will tell you about the gauge types, warning systems, etc. If you hear the horn, stop the motor. If it is over temperature you can wait for the motor to cool down. Then proceed to port. If oil pressure related flag someone down or call Sea Tow.

If the alarm sounds, stop the motor! You can be stuck with a good motor that has a problem or you can be stuck with a motor that has just been ruined. Your call.

More than likely you will never have a problem. If you do your preventative maintenance that is. You will find that the quality of the motor you purchased is related to the maintenance that gets done.

Comment

Working...
      X