No announcement yet.

150 TXRA overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to get it up to temp tomorrow and get some measurements. I actually have a flir at work I'll borrow to find hot spots. Gonna pull the lower unit now and see if I can inspect the tube from the WP to the motor.

I appreciate the help....fearing the worse (pulling heads). I know exactly what you are talking about. I've seen the passages clogged on wet cylinders in water cooled Porsche turbo cars.

Comment

Do some searching and reading on this, some have used it and said it worked very well RYDLYME Marine biodegradable marine descaler | RydLyme Marine

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Do some searching and reading on this, some have used it and said it worked very well RYDLYME Marine biodegradable marine descaler | RydLyme Marine
        Post #11 above, I posted some links from this forum ref the same and how it was done, pumps, etc, how it worked etc.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for all the help gang. I bit the bullet today and ordered all the gaskets to pull the heads and manually remove any deposits. Also ordered all new anodes while I'm in there. I just did a vinegar flush already so I'm gonna go the elbow grease route. Fingers crossed no snapped bolts. Stay tuned....

Comment

Heads are off. Some passages are completely clogged.

Port side
            Attached Files

Comment

Port side 2 (clogged passages)
              Attached Files

Comment

Port side 2 (opposite)
                Attached Files

Comment

Starboard side
                  Attached Files

Comment

Starboard side (clogged passages)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Starboard side (opposite)

I'll get block pics tomorrow, no flash on this camera. Yup, I'm that neighbor out there wrenching at 11:30pm.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by cheetah chrome; 08-29-2014, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Glad you found the issue as I suspected.

I think someone ripped off your dad if only 10 hours were put on that engine since the alledged cleaning (and it was flushed). Those water jackets are about 3.5, 4" deep or so around the cylinders.

Lots of fun BUT, it'll run great once buttoned back up!
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-29-2014, 07:01 AM.
                        Scott

Comment

I bet the RYDLIME would have taken care of it without the opening it up, from what I have read in others posts.

Make sure to be careful when cleaning the gasket surfaces also so you do not mess up the flat sealing surfaces

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            I bet the RYDLIME would have taken care of it without the opening it up, from what I have read in others posts.

Make sure to be careful when cleaning the gasket surfaces also so you do not mess up the flat sealing surfaces
                            When we did my neighbors 200, there wasn't any flow to the lower cylinders(we didn't know that until we opened it up). The salt build up was easily 3.5-4" deep and took some serious picking at to get out.... Just like the op's

Wish I would have took pic's. My other neighbor refuses to flush his engines, says its a saltwater engine, doesn't need it. Just a matter of time...
                            Scott

Comment

Right now I have no regrets opening it up. I was going slow and it only took me 2 hours to get it disassembled. Granted I didn't have any bolts break on me...I'd probably have regrets if that was the case. Anywho, the price of the gaskets is almost equal to a big batch of the Redlyme, some hose/clamps/whatnot. By opening it up I can at least guarantee I got the crap out. Also gave me a chance to inspect the bores (which look great...no scratches at all). Anywho, I'll be scrubbing this evening and will be sure to not damage any sealing surfaces. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cheetah chrome View Post
                                Right now I have no regrets opening it up. I was going slow and it only took me 2 hours to get it disassembled. Granted I didn't have any bolts break on me...I'd probably have regrets if that was the case. Anywho, the price of the gaskets is almost equal to a big batch of the Redlyme, some hose/clamps/whatnot. By opening it up I can at least guarantee I got the crap out. Also gave me a chance to inspect the bores (which look great...no scratches at all). Anywho, I'll be scrubbing this evening and will be sure to not damage any sealing surfaces. Thanks!
                                Please post after your sea trial!!!
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X