1986 Pro V 150 Main Oil Tank Overfilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Pro V 150 Main Oil Tank Overfilling

Hello I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my motor. The main oil tank is overfilling and oil is running out when the key is turned on. I have already replaced the oil level sensor in the main tank and it did not work. I am not sure where to go from here. I am somewhat familiar with a multimeter but I cannot find anywhere to show me how to test everything else before I end up replacing another $200 component that doesn't need to be replaced.

Thanks

Do a search on "precision blend" by Rodbolt, the theory of operation of the oil system has been covered in detail about a thousand times.

Comment

whats a main tank?

remember tonight I am already miffed AND drinking while keyboarding.

on the pre 1990 V6 motors, once SW2 commanded oil transfer on the oil control module has to see SW1 close (black to white) to shut off the pump.
      this model can be done with just jumper wires at the engine tank connector.
      key on engine off.
      jump brown to black and pump is on, jump white to black and pump is off.
      if this does not happen either a wire is damaged/bad connection, between the connector and the oil control or the oil control took a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        whats a main tank?

remember tonight I am already miffed AND drinking while keyboarding.

on the pre 1990 V6 motors, once SW2 commanded oil transfer on the oil control module has to see SW1 close (black to white) to shut off the pump.
        this model can be done with just jumper wires at the engine tank connector.
        key on engine off.
        jump brown to black and pump is on, jump white to black and pump is off.
        if this does not happen either a wire is damaged/bad connection, between the connector and the oil control or the oil control took a dump.
        According to Yamaha it is the tank on the motor. As opposed to the sub tank.

Comment

Here is a diagram showing the electric connections between the main tank sensor assembly and the oil control module. As Rodbolt notes, the control module is looking for a ground reference which tells it that the main oil tank is full and to turn off the oil pump at the sub oil tank. Check the connection from the sensor switch assembly to the oil control module very carefully. If that connection, or a broken wire, is not allowing the control module to see a ground reference the pump will keep on pumping.

Check all of the connections while you are at it. A motor that is coming up on thirty years old, particularly if used in the briney blue, will more than likely have some corrosion build up in the connectors, if not the wire itself. Yamaha does not typically use tinned wire? Why? Who the hell knows?

Comment

Have you caught any fish yet down there boscoe99

Comment

good thing I have mellowed a bit.
              or I would say something to the effect of man, I aint spent a nickel on my car in 30 yrs, why I gotta spend a nickel on my outboard?

bustin chops

but its what I deal with everery day

got a guuudun today.

a buddy of the service manager has a cooling issue with is 2003 FICHT motor.

sheet I don't know squat about it.

but yet I am tasked with making it run.
              good thing I have friends that know way more about that motor than I.

11 years and NO maint.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                Have you caught any fish yet down there boscoe99
                Did not go fishing. Wife sent me an email and said that lightning took out two of our TV's. So, I am taking my fishing (plus some extra) money and heading to Costco today for replacements.

If it ain't one damn thing it is something else.

On a side note, have you come back into the country lately? I swear in an airport you are considered a criminal until you prove your own innocence. I am done with flying. Too old to put up with the bull sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  good thing I have mellowed a bit.
                  or I would say something to the effect of man, I aint spent a nickel on my car in 30 yrs, why I gotta spend a nickel on my outboard?

bustin chops

but its what I deal with everery day

got a guuudun today.

a buddy of the service manager has a cooling issue with is 2003 FICHT motor.

sheet I don't know squat about it.

but yet I am tasked with making it run.
                  good thing I have friends that know way more about that motor than I.

11 years and NO maint.
                  Rumor has it that Etecs don't need maintenance, ever.

Maintenance seems to be considered a dirty word.

Maybe it is just a coincidence but I have found in my life that the more maintenance that I do the better the quality of the product that I purchased is.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    Did not go fishing. Wife sent me an email and said that lightning took out two of our TV's. So, I am taking my fishing (plus some extra) money and heading to Costco today for replacements.

If it ain't one damn thing it is something else.

On a side note, have you come back into the country lately? I swear in an airport you are considered a criminal until you prove your own innocence. I am done with flying. Too old to put up with the bull sheet.
                    Tuff luck on the TVs, but they are a lot cheaper now a days, depending on what you are buying.

Hope they catch all the terrorist trying to get in the country, but do not think they are flying in with the open borders it seem we have.

Did they take you to the special room for something they found or thought they found?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Tuff luck on the TVs, but they are a lot cheaper now a days, depending on what you are buying.

Hope they catch all the terrorist trying to get in the country, but do not think they are flying in with the open borders it seem we have.

Did they take you to the special room for something they found or thought they found?
                      Got a bigger tv with more features for less bucks. Old one was over five years old.

No special room but they make you answer questions in a machine for which you get a receipt. They then ask you the same damn questions about five more times in person. I asked if the man was having difficult understanding the word "no". He was not amused.

Comment

come on.
                        the TSA is the best minimum wage security our taxdollars can buy.
                        just think of all the potential granny bombers they stopped.
                        and how many scissors made for cutting baby fingernails they confiscated.
                        man them baby scissors are scary as an assult rifle.

Comment

Working...
                        X