Throttle and gear shift controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle and gear shift controls

94 55HP 2 stroke. Engine runs and idles fine. New set of controls and cables and here is what happens.. Idles fine.. when I put it in gear, engine almost stalls unless I hurry and give it throttle. Shouldn't the timing advance when put it in gear, and after the timing advances and I continue to give it throttle the carbs kick in? The throttle cable never moves unless I go way past it being in gear. I see no external cable adjustments that will resolve this. Maybe some kind of internal adjustment in the controls?

Usually, JUST shifting into gear is doing JUST THAT... No advance, throttle movement, etc.

When you advance the throttle further advance, carbs, etc start moving.

What's the warm idle set at, RPM wise? Both in gear and in neutral..

*And this issue just started with the installation of new cables, nothing else?

Lastly, for adjustment (likely NOT your problem):

-Disconnect cables at the engine.(just the ends)
    -Put helm shifter in neutral
    -At the engine, slide the shifter into neutral(should be a mark)
    -At the engine, make sure the throttle linkage is set all the way back(full idle/stop)

The cables should slip over the engine "pin's"(linkages) easily W/O movement.

If everything doesn't line up, adjust cables so they do and re-attach.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-22-2019, 09:03 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

*And this issue just started with the installation of new cables, nothing else?

Thanks. Long story, but the not too short answer to your question, this engine had been pieced together after the old engine had major problems. The original engine had a damaged cylinder, head and crankshaft. A used engine was purchased. Carb linkage was missing after getting the blown engine back from a repair shop un repaired. The guy who owned it and replaced the engine, then damaged the charging coil trying to remove the flywheel. This was replaced by me along with the missing linkage. Engine ran poorly until I resolved the clogged carburetor issue. (I purchased a used #2 carb because the jets in the original one could not be removed) Put on a friends boat with brand new controls by the guy mentioned above. I took it out last Saturday and it ran good other than the control issue and sometimes stalling while in gear idling. My friends boat doesn't have a tach, but I have a strobe that might work for determining the RPM's. The manual says 1050-1150 RPM's. Linkages have been set up per the repair manual. If you are telling me that the timing should not change and remain retarded until giving it throttle when in gear, then it must be a too low of idle issue, along with the cables out of adjustment. The manual is not clear, but made me think that the timing should advance when put in gear before the carb's throttle cam is activated.
      Last edited by ChuckB1954; 07-23-2019, 03:48 AM.

Comment

“And this issue just started with the installation of new cables, nothing else?”

Thanks Scott. Engine was blown up with a bad cylinder, crankshaft and head. It was given to a friend, by his neighbor, who originally took it to an outboard shop. This friend ended up buying a used replacement engine and assembling it. Carb linkage that was missing when it came from the repair shop was replaced. My friend damaged the charging coil when trying to remove the flywheel. Another friend purchased it and it came in my hands when I volunteered to help. I replaced charging coil. It ran rough. The # 2 carb was plugged up. The jets were corroded in, so I bought a used carb and after soaking/cleaning,came out like new, installed it. Engine now runs great. Only the control problem mentioned. My friend put it on his boat with brand new controls. I had adjusted all the linkage and timing as shown in the service manual. I assumed that the timing advanced when put in gear. The manual is not quite clear. He has no tach on his boat, but I have a strobe that will work. Idle RPM’s as per the book are 1050-1150.Only confusion is that the throttle cable doesn’t even move until about 6 inches after being put in gear. I will do the cable adjustment as you mentioned, maybe it will help, and also check the idle.

Comment

Working...
        X