Lower Unit Clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Clunk

I have a 1989 or 1987 (not sure and number plate on engine is missing) 200 HP, still running great, although on the weekend at low to fast idle the lower unit was clunking, but this then went under higher load. I have always had some play in the prop shaft forward and back, and put this down to a worn lower unit. Could it be that it has now worn so much that the shifter does not move the gears far enough to fully engage? If I adjust the shift cable the clunking occurs in reverse and not in forwards, which makes me think it is a LU replacement or rebuild time? Anything I can do to prolong it until I pull the boat in a couple weeks?

IMO, if its thats sloppy, I'd be pulling it before it completly fails and you potentially destroy what ever good parts are left inside...

Draining the LU oil and watching for shiney particles would help verify its failing.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

No particles, just fore aft movement!

Comment

Had an 1988 evinrude 88spl I would get a bump almost like I had hit something. It was the clutch dog. Once I removed it I could see the edges rounded off.

Comment

Working...
        X