No announcement yet.

Battery voltage meter sits at 0 while boat runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage increases when the engine is running because you're now getting "charging" voltage from the stator. Same reason why voltage increases when a car engine is running because now the alternator is working. That part is normal - in other words, it "IS" battery voltage since the battery is receiving 14+ charging volts.

Go to the access for your fuel tank level sender. You will see a black (possibly green, but same function) wire and a pink wire. The pink wire is an industry standard for the level sender. You may see that it's not connected/rusted/corroded/dirty... if so, fix that first. Next, with the key to the 'on' position (gauges activated), you can do two things. Ground the pink wire... the gauge should show full. Remove the pink wire, the gauge should show empty. You can do the same type of test at the gauge to figure out where the issue is. If you have 12V at the ignition post on the gauge, yet when testing the gauge the needle doesn't move, then the gauge is bad.

NOTE... the pink wire carries resistance. You should have a separate terminal on the gauge that receives ignition ("run" position) voltage to power the gauge.

NOTE 2: I see that you are measuring 11V in one place and 12.5V in another (with engine off). The 12.5V is good. The 11 is not. I suggest you start with pulling/inspecting/cleaning/tightening every connection you have back there. If you're not getting clean voltage everywhere, then the everything else you are doing may be a waste of time.

Note 3: It seems like you're kinda all over the place with understanding terminology, function and proper wire colors... which is fine... and understandable if you're new to this. But take a step back and go through things again to fully understand. If you're uncomfortable with this stuff, just hire someone. A decent shop can have this figured out in, likely, less than an hour.

EDIT: Since you have a combination voltage/fuel gauge, the power post is likely shared between the two functions.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 07-27-2019, 11:27 AM.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha115OB View Post
      So, the company wrote (see above post), that the voltage meter should show 12v on the violet wire to sense battery voltage, and there is voltage when I turn the key to the first position, but the voltage meter does not work...the fuel gauge works. And, the voltage on the blue wire is nothing...which is supposed to be the fuel, but that works. So, it sounds as if the company told me incorrectly about the blue and violet wires. Also, the lights don't work (pink wire) in the gauge. So, I guess I have to trace back to see why voltage isn't getting to the gauge through the blue and pink wires. Also, I didn't actually turn on the engine just because it was getting dark and I figure I'll pick it up again tomorrow...I only turned the key to the first position. Shouldn't I see the meter work at the first key position?
      I am not sure why people even the OP keeps trying to bring the fuel gauge into this since he said it works.
      the battery voltage part of the gauge is bad if it has voltage to the terminal and a good ground but the meter does not move.
      end of story

Comment

I added that fuel gauge info as there seems to be some confusion about wire colors and functions. Just wanted to try and cover all bases for him. But, yes, if there's good voltage (again, seems like 'good' voltage might be a problem) at the gauge, and the gauge doesn't show it, then the answer is very simple.

Comment

Hi, Everyone: yes I am new to this, so I apologize if I am confused. I think at this point I might try the instructions Scott gave me initially, which was to apply voltage directly to the meter one terminal at a time to see what works and what doesn’t. If I never get a reading on the voltmeter part of the gauge, then I can assume it is broken, regardless of all my confusion with the different colored wires. Part of my confusion is that the company said the Pink wire is for fuel, and that gauge works, but I never see any voltage on it. I’ll report back on my next test. Thanks again.

Comment

Maybe Faria will send you the next generation of this guage. Hopefully it will fit in the same cutout.
            Probably good that Rodbolt didn’t weigh in on this one.

Comment

I think your head is just spinning trying to make sense of all of this

If you look back at what you posted, regarding what Faria told you, they correctly stated that the violet was power and the pink was for the fuel sender. Read again what I mentioned about the pink wire vs voltage.

Also, if you look back at what you posted about checking for voltage, you already verified that you have 12V at the violet wire on the back of the gauge.

I think you have done everything already. The voltmeter part of the gauge is not working.

Comment

Maybe Faria will send you the next generation of this guage. Hopefully it will fit in the same cutout.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  What happened to him? Venezuela?

Comment

he once talked about retiring, but I have no idea where he is or why he stopped posting.
                    maybe he just got tired of us.

I hope all is well with his wife's family down there
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 07-27-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

This is a most unusual thread IMO. Two wires. One ground, one battery power. Volt meter either works or it does not work

Comment

Double post. Damn Russians did it.

Hope he comes back. Maybe we could create a few gun threads and lure him back.

Comment

Okay, I put a black wire from the negative battery post to the black pin of the gauge...and a red wire from the positive battery post to the violet pin on the gauge, and I got nothing. I put the positive lead on the blue pin and the backlights worked. I don't understand how the fuel gauge works, because I put the positive lead on the pink pin and nothing happened as well.

Anyway, does anybody disagree with the assessment that the voltage portion does not work, and I should order a new gauge?
                          Thanks.

Comment

is that not what we have been saying

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              is that not what we have been saying
                              Ditto.

As far as the fuel gauge... please re-read what has been said about how to test it. I can appreciate that you are new to this type of diagnosis, but it's really important to read what has been said already. Otherwise, we end up with a thread that is 4 times as long as it should be.

Comment

Okay, so I found a replacement gauge (https://www.ebay.com/itm/190495249065 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/Faria-Boat-...4AAOSwRkJdMiLK, but you can see in the photos in this post that mine has a white case with the 6-pin square electrical connections, but the gauges for sale don't have the same connection (looks like a straight six) or no connection at all. Any advice?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X