No announcement yet.

2018 SHO Whine when in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since our Master Tech is on hiatus...I posted your link to another forum and two Yamaha Master Techs listened and heard nothing out of the ordinary. They both would prefer to hear in person but heard nothing alarming. One of them runs a Contender with triple 300 4.2 motors.

The good thing is that you do have the warranty if something were to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      Since our Master Tech is on hiatus...I posted your link to another forum and two Yamaha Master Techs listened and heard nothing out of the ordinary. They both would prefer to hear in person but heard nothing alarming. One of them runs a Contender with triple 300 4.2 motors.

The good thing is that you do have the warranty if something were to happen.
      They are used to it and suffer from industrial deafness

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

They are used to it and suffer from industrial deafness
        Mehhh. Think you are suffering from 2 strokeness.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Dealership that I bought the motor is going to have it checked out. I’ve also asked them to let me hear another 200 SHO.
          I truly do not believe this is normal and anyone has to accept this noise. If I had not built cars and motors most my life, and had not had boats all my life, I could be told that is normal.
          i will update post as I get more details.

Comment

Well, update! Has a master tech on the boat this weekend and he heard the noise. Motor is strong, said SHo’s make that noise it is normal. If it blows, it’s under warranty. What happens when it is out of warranty and blows! This forum will be part of my documentation the problem existed.
            Also, I am tired of everyone saying my aftermarket prop could be the problem. It is a power tech prop that gets my boat to the RPMs needed and holeshot for my boat. The noise existed with Yamaha props after 2 hours of break in.

Comment

I hear a high pitch...sorta squealing sound.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                I hear a high pitch...sorta squealing sound.
                Had to do it, didn't you?

Comment

Lol. That’s funny! Thanks all

Comment

New update. Boat is in the shop, and it seems to be harmonics and could be related to prop pitch.
                    Has anyone ever heard of that before? I told them if it is the prop then get the right prop on the motor and eliminate that noise.

Comment

Never heard of that before either.
                      maybe prop is ringing due to the type hubs they use now(not the pressed in rubber hub)

Comment

Update- just got the boat back from dealership that sold the motor to me. They had their master tech check the motor out. Said the noise is normal for the SHO motors. The noise I am hearing when boat is in gear and moving is normal and is related to the exhaust for these motors. Motor performs very well and has the right prop for the application.

I guess if something happens it is covered under warranty.

Comment

well good luck.

you could find a forum that has a bunch of SHO owners to see what they have to say about there motors making a strange noise

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            well good luck.

you could find a forum that has a bunch of SHO owners to see what they have to say about there motors making a strange noise
                            Y’all gotta stop encouraging his paranoia. The damn thing woulda blown up by now.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Y’all gotta stop encouraging his paranoia. The damn thing woulda blown up by now.
                              Thanks and that is funny. I have 5 year warranty and if it blows it blows. It just better not blow if I am offshore with daughters on the boat. I am surprised no one from Yamaha factory has not commented on this post. If well!

Comment

Originally posted by Captsteve63 View Post

Thanks and that is funny. I have 5 year warranty and if it blows it blows. It just better not blow if I am offshore with daughters on the boat. I am surprised no one from Yamaha factory has not commented on this post. If well!
                                Yamaha NEVER comments. Ever.

Based on my count, three Master Techs have now listened to the engine. All reported nothing unusual. Oh, another guy with a 4.2 liter SHO also listened to the video and reported nothing different from his experience. Not trying to argue.... I think you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X