2018 SHO Whine when in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 SHO Whine when in gear

Has anyone experienced a harmonic whine on a brand new SHO 200 outboard? It started at 1100 to 1200 rpms and now is louder at 4000 rpms.
    Noise only exist when in gear. Motor sounds great and when in neural raising the RPMs no noise.
    once in gear it has almost like a metal on metal whine. Sounds terrible, and motor only has 12 hours on it so far. This is unacceptable for a brand new motor. Noise started at about 3 hours into break in.

only extra thing that turns whn in gear is the prop shaft.
    pull the prop and look for something that is rubbing.
    or try it without the prop on to se if sound is still there while in gear.

I myself would take it in to have it checked

Comment

Is there oil in the lower unit?

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        Is there oil in the lower unit?
        Good question.....

Comment

if there was no lower unit lube I am sure the drive shaft bearings would be making noise all of the time, not just when in gear

Comment

Ok, the prop has been removed and verified that nothing is rubbing. Motor ran with prop and with out prop, and noise is still there. Prop has been ruled out.
            Oil has been checked and is clean and no metal on the plug.
            All good suggestions but all have been checked and tested. Yamaha needs to send someone to hear this as I am not going to settle with this noise.

Comment

Yamaha doesn’t send people. You will have to find a decent mechanic. With a decent relationship with Yamaha. Can you post a video clip here?

Comment

I would take it back to who you bought it from and let warranty handle it

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I would take it back to who you bought it from and let warranty handle it
                  Nobody knows where where is. Most boat dealers stink. As Rodbolt says...”look on the wall for the certificates”.

Comment

he would have a hard time getting a non Yamaha shop to do anything under warranty,
                    so it will need to be a Yamaha shop

Comment

Well the dealership has hooked me up with a certified mechanic to check it out that is able to handle warranty issues. I tried to post a video so you could hear the sound. Not uploading for some reason.

Comment

Still waiting for tech to check on motor. This has been such a low priority for the dealership to resolve. Each day running this boat the noise gets louder. Now it is at all RPM’s. Total BS for such an expensive motor. I almost went with a Suzuki, but being a forever diehard Yamaha guy I could not make the change. Now that this has been over a month and still not resolved is totally unacceptable.

Comment

why are you still running the motor if it has a problem?
                          seems the dealer you bought it from was not a Yamaha dealer if he had to send you to someone else.
                          and who he sent you to could care less since you did not buy from them.

Comment

Dealer is a Yamaha dealer. They wanted me to get more time on motor thinking it will stop. It does not, so boat is being evaluated by their recommended certified mobile tech they use.

Comment

but the mobile tech has not checked the motor out yet?
                              or he did and told you to keep running it?

Comment

Working...
                              X