intermittent water pump 1995 yamaha 9.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you

I just signed up to shout out a thank-you.

My 1996 T9.9 bit the dust recently. Bought a used low-hours powerhead from a 1999, out of a shop in Seattle. Installed it, it ran great and all, but it wasn't hardly peeing ... only a little bit when I wound it up. But the old powerhead was peeing fine before it quit. So I had reason to believe the pump was fine.

I studied the service manual and poked and prodded on the old motor trying to figure out how the cooling system worked. I could tell the water comes up the bottom just aft of the driveline and then went to the exhaust plate, but I couldn't really deduce anything else about the cooling system or what might be wrong.

Finally in desperation I did a web search and found this thread. I pulled the two hoses off the nipples in the exhaust port area and tried to pump some compressed air in there. A very little bit of air and water came out the opposite one. All of sudden, pop, it opened up and some shrapnel came out and I had good air flow from one to the other. Ah-ha!

Put the earmuffs back on it and fired it off and sure enough, peeing like a horse.

Thanks guys. I was stressing there for a bit over what it could be. Happy to find it was so simple.

Despite being newer and fresher than my old powerhead, I'm thinking it saw seawater over there in Seattle. Definitely more corrosion around those fittings than my old one, which has only been in freshwater the last 20 years.

Comment

Working...
    X