Submerged F115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submerged F115

Hi, have just found your site as I was looking for some answers to my problem.

Got up one morning and found my boat had been half submerged in salt water and the outboard had a stain around the cowling cover which showed it had gone within two inches of being totally underwater.
    My boat is moored just in front of our house.

Got it on the trailer and gave it a thorough wash down and then stared to work my way through the damage. Very happy to say not one drop of water internally but being that the batteries were connected it obviously ran a circuit through the water which buggered up na few electrical components which I have replaced. Got it all back together and fired it up and it was back to its old self running really sweet.
    Took it for a run for a couple of hours and all good.

Next day went to start it and no go so moved throttle up mid way and it fired up and ran ok but as soon as I moved throttle back it died so went through the procedure a few times and sometimes it would run and sometimes I could very slowly bring it back to idle but it still won't start unless I have throttle past about half way which also means that I can't get it into gear.

I live on an island in Vanuatu in the pacific and have no access to parts or Yamaha dealers for read outs etc so I am doing it all myself.
    Any help and hints would be greatly appreciated as I need my boat for transport.

Cheers

What electrical components did you replace?

Have you disconnected every plug and connector on the engine and sprayed them out with some contact cleaner?

Please post the complete engine data plate information.

Sorry your boat sunk.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjanjim View Post
      not one drop of water internally but being that the batteries were connected it obviously ran a circuit through the water which buggered up na few electrical components which I have replaced.
      what were the electrical components that were 'buggered up" and replaced?

Comment

are you sure you got all of the water out of the fuel tank/system?

Comment

Thanks Panasonic, Plate ID: F115LB. 6EK. L. 1021986. Z. Numbers 1021986 is a bit scratched but that what the numbers appear to be.

Replaced Relay assy 63P-81950-00,
          Fuse box assy 6EK-82170-02
          Relay 68V-9194A-00
          and a few end wire lugs that were corroded due to battery current I assume. Engine and all fittings have been thoroughly cleaned. Starter stripped down and cleaned, manifold off and no water entry.
          I was reading today about the Idle Speed control valve 6C5-13713-00-00 so disconnected it and the engine started in neutral and ran a bit lumpy for about fif**** seconds then evened out and ran quite smoothly.
          Started it a few times and then plugged the Idle speed control back in and it would not start in neutral but started around half throttle 3500-4000rpm.

Fairdeal. as above.

99yam40. Yes drained all water but just to be sure as we work through this I have been running a portable tank with fresh fuel so as to count that system out of the equation. Also cleaned tout he secondary fuel filter on the motor.

Cheers and thanks for all taking an interest.

Comment

Did you un-plug the ECU, clean, etc? Did that go under water?

Does the ISV chatter when you turn the key off (re-setting)?

Sounds like that valve (stepper motor inside) is acting up /stuck/shorted, etc..

There's posts here about cleaning it, checking it off of the engine- Someone will post that up..
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

TownsendsFJR1300:

Yes unplugged ECU and everything else that could unplug and cleaned although there was nothing at all in any of the connections and yes....the whole motor except for the top two inches went under. It was in the tilted up position so the rear top of engine was the only bit not under water.

No ISV chatter. Pulled it apart and cannot manually push or pull what I think is the plunger.

Comment

it is a motor , motors turn, so pushing will not do anything

Comment

Originally posted by jimjanjim View Post
                  TownsendsFJR1300:

Yes unplugged ECU and everything else that could unplug and cleaned although there was nothing at all in any of the connections and yes....the whole motor except for the top two inches went under. It was in the tilted up position so the rear top of engine was the only bit not under water.

No ISV chatter. Pulled it apart and cannot manually push or pull what I think is the plunger.
                  Tks.

I'd pull the ISV and check it with electric OFF the engine. Either that's an issue or no signal from the ECU to it...

As noted by Yam99, you cannot push it manually, it's a "stepper motor"- with electrical power it spins back and forth (adjusting the idle up or down per the ECU).

They do fail and sometimes, members have been able to clean them with good results.

As yours worked prior, I suspect water got in there and is NOW affecting it / shorting it, etc.

Scott

Comment

the idle air control valve is an 'electric motor' -
                    I can believe it would not tolerate seawater immersion.

one of the few really helpful tools in YDS is the 'static' IAC test

but if you have an old 'wall wort' transformer with ~12V AC output
                    and a small capacitor, you can check to see if it runs

Comment

Found it!

https://vimeo.com/264625510
                      Scott

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and help. Much appreciated. Finally got my part (idle air control valve) and fitted it to the motor. That was the problem. Fired it up and all's good after about 10 hrs of running. I am still amazed that no water got into the motor internally and also how awesome the seals are in all of the connectors in the wiring loom Cost me a couple of grand for all my parts by the time I paid shipping and duty etc but I'm a Happy Chappy .
                        Cheers and thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                        X