heli coil for v-max 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heli coil for v-max 225

can someone tell me the things I'll need to repair a stripped out plug on a 2000 v-max 225 (vx225tlry). I know I need a heli coil but never done it. Need all the sizes of heli coil, bit, tap and anything else I'll need.

I would pull the head and replace with new , not much meat there at the plug hole
    or have it done by machine shop, but that is just me

Comment

it is sold as a kit for spark plug thread repair depends on a spark plug- search

Comment

If it was my motor I'd have it done by a professional at a Yamaha dealer who has done them before...maybe they charge you $50 or $75, but better than totally screwing up a very expensive cylinder head!.....

Comment

Those that don't like to use a torque wrench typically will tighten stuff just to the point that it starts to get loose again.

Helicoils are pretty straight forward to install. Instructions may be on a spark plug "kit" or you can find them online. Also, lots of you tube tutorials are available.

A helicoil will sometimes provide greater thread strength that bare aluminum.

I would do the repair in-situ but that is just me. Get someone to do it for you if you don't feel comfortable. It is not as it you can make it worse. I don't think.

Comment

don't use a drill, the stripped hole is plenty big.
            grease the heck out of the tap to help remove shavings.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              don't use a drill, the stripped hole is plenty big.
              grease the heck out of the tap to help remove shavings.
              See what I'm saying about getting someone to do it who knows the tricks, so to speak...

Comment

Working...
              X