How Not to Destroy Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Not to Destroy Jets

I have a 30hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder Yamaha that's been sitting for several years with old gas in the carbs. Needed to do a carb rebuild on them so ordered the kits and started to dismantle one carb at a time. The first carb, I presoaked in carb cleaner then soaked all the jets and bolts in PB Blaster penetrating oil. The jets proved to be stuck fast and in my attempt to remove them, I mangled them badly. I searched for a tool that would improve my chances on removing the jets on the other carbs. I found at Harbor Freight a micro impact screwdriver that had bits small enough to fit into the recessed holes for the jets. With this impact driver, I was able to fit the slotted head of the jet perfectly and give it a solid hit, applying enough torque to break it free the first hit.

I thought I would post this tool for anyone who might also have this problem in the future.

DSC_0227 by sixscouts, on Flickr

DSC_0226-001 by sixscouts, on Flickr

I have that same model (my motor have been sitting for about 4 years but no gas on the carbs) and even using a apropriate size screew driver I had +/- the same problem but used a pliers and did the job, no problem.
    That type of impact screwdriver are nice, so far I just used them on lower unit gear oil plug.

Comment

Working...
    X