Intermittant gear selection issue Yamaha 175 hp 1990 2stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittant gear selection issue Yamaha 175 hp 1990 2stroke

Hey guys , the last couple of trips I have done I have has this weird gear selector issue which appears to be getting worse. I can start the boat fine and it will work fine for a while but then its like the gear selector is out of sync. I always seam to notice it when I start the motor ( makes sence as this is notmally when you go to change gears). After I start the motor some times I can hear a bit of grinding like it is trying to go into gear when the selector is still in netural (the same position that worked fine when I launched). Some times I can just put my hand of the throttle/gear changer and the noise will go away (I dont actually move the leaver into any of the gear areas Im still in netural just a bit of pressure). I have found that the gears will get a bit cruncher when i attempt to shift into gear and some times have a bit of a bump to them. On one day while waiting to load the boat at the ramp when I attempted to shift into forward I found that I got into the section where the rpm starts increasing and I was not yet in gear. The end result was a bit of a bang as the gear kicked in and took up the higher then notmal rpm. No damage done and it still works thankfully.

Here is the cool bit, when it gets out of sync I can turn the engine off and move the shifter to max forward and then back to nuteral and the issue is fixed. Its like it is reseting or recentreing the shift to where it is meant to be. I have taken the cover off the motor and watched the other end of the shifter cable and there appears to be no difference between a good shift and a bad shift so it would appear that the issue is in the leg somewhere.

I do have a manual and I used to be a car mechanic years ago so Im not worried about pulling the leg off but not being a boat motor mechanic I dont really know what Im looking for. If a spacer or something was missing I would not know that there is meant to be one there. The motor is normally serviced every year or two and would more than likely do 20 - 30 hours a year.

Does anyone now what I should look for or had this issue before ?

I would carefully inspect the shift rod between the powerhead and gearcase.
    its known to corrode away.

Comment

Working...
    X