Trim and Tilt problem Driving me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim and Tilt problem Driving me nuts

I had to clean out all the old fluid becouse we had water intrusion.I filled system with new fluid and trim and tilt worked fine one time then only trim would go in and out fine but when it would fully trim out the tilt would not work . Motor is still running but will not tilt. I will tilt if you assist it by hand lifting it with motor running.Fluid appears to be full . It will pour out when you take fill cap off. HELP

if you have had all the rams fully extend, and fully retract, several times,
    and now fully tilted up, the reservoir is full to overflowing,
    then any air that may have been present is gone.

That, and making sure the bypass valve is fully tightened, is all you can do.

If it is still malfunctioning, then an internal valve is leaking -
    possibly due to water damage.
    So, disassembly, inspection, replacement of damaged parts.

Not rocket science - but no walk in the park, either.

Comment

Thanks for the input Fair deal. I guess the question is what can make the trim rods go in and out fine but tilt wont go up ?

Comment

Refer to your service manual. It will guide you through the procedure for de-airing the PTT system. But more importantly, you mentioned having to replace the fluid due to water intrusion....what did you do to fix that problem? If nothing, what's the point of troubleshooting the tilt/trim with a busted seal(s)?
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Plus 1, ^^^. The leaking issue needs to be addressed...

For a visual bleeding procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPyXNQQOf4
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes I put new seals new caps ,Drained the system , cleaned the system , filled it with new fluid , bleed the system . Result now trim rods come out fast but when the are fully extended tilt will not go up but you can help by lifting it while motor is running and it goes up.I have bleed it 10 times fluid runs out when cap is off . Any idea? and when motor is tilted it holds and doesnt leak don.

Comment

The engine is fully up, all rams extended (and on the "mechanical arms" supporting it) when you top off the fluid?

Did you fill with fluid in all orifices as you re-assembled? IE, Didn't start filling and bleeding AFTER all was assembled..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I agree, trying to fill and work the air out without filling the unit as you put it back together (as your service manual says) is very hard to do

Comment

Did you also replace the tilt ram cap seal?

Running the engine shouldn't make any difference to the operation of the trim/tilt. The only reason it could make a difference is if your battery is kaput. I'm wondering if that's what is going on here. The engine, at low RPM's, though, doesn't make a lot of juice so it's trying to compensate for a low/shot battery. From what you've written, I'd start with charging/load testing your battery and/or getting a new battery.
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                    Did you also replace the tilt ram cap seal?

Running the engine shouldn't make any difference to the operation of the trim/tilt. The only reason it could make a difference is if your battery is kaput. I'm wondering if that's what is going on here. The engine, at low RPM's, though, doesn't make a lot of juice so it's trying to compensate for a low/shot battery. From what you've written, I'd start with charging/load testing your battery and/or getting a new battery.
                    Good point. Volt drop test ptt motor when engine off to confirm same is receiving 12+ throughout up/down ptt cycle. Then test same with engine running. If measuring volt drop with engine off or on then that would indicate resistance in feed to ptt motor.
                    Jason
                    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

How did we get to "running the engine" and "voltage drop"?

The OP is saying that despite the t/t motor running,
                      the engine will not tilt up unless he 'helps' it.

Bleeding is not a complicated process.
                      if all three rams go, several times,
                      from completely up,
                      to completely down,
                      and the reservoir is kept full,
                      then the air is going to be purged.

There are, typically, in a t/t unit:

Up circuit check valve
                      Down circuit check valve
                      Up-main valve
                      Down-main valve
                      Up shuttle valve
                      Down shuttle valve
                      Up-relief valve
                      Down-relief valve

If one of those is leaking due to corrosion or debris,
                      the system is not going to work properly.

Where would corrosion or debris come from?

Originally posted by Brian bruhmuller View Post
                      I had to clean out all the old fluid because we had water intrusion.

Comment

I also think he was talking about the T&T motor running not the engine

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          I also think he was talking about the T&T motor running not the engine
                          Ah. Yes, I thought he was talking about the engine (outboard) running... which didn't make a lot of sense to me, but that's the way I initially read it. Obviously the T/T motor needs to be operating for the engine to tilt up under hydraulic power... so when he specifically said "motor running", I thought he was referring to the outboard.

I just rebuilt the tilt ram along with, what seemed like, about 816 small orings, seals, springs, etc throughout the system... Yes, definitely LOT'S of places for stuff other than hyd fluid to get caught up or cause damage.

Still wondering if he resealed the TILT ram... as that's a little more involved than the trim rams.
                          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                          X