Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

put 87 octane car gas into F150LA (SHO version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need to head to NC with some 55 gal drums in the back of the PU and the boat in tow

Comment

Yea, seems that the local marina doesn't have exactly what Yamaha is recommending. Kind of odd IMHO.

Speaking of 55 gallon barrels of gas, in Alaska the bush pilots will fly full 55 gallon barrels of fuel into remote locations so that they have it for the return trip. I guess if they do that then my pulling a pontoon boat 300 miles for a fill up is not out of line But yea, I'm getting the idea that many people just ignore this problem and use the marina gas because it's convenient. Thus the high prices at the marinas, convenience does have a price. I just might be one of them too depending on how my search for the proper gas goes.

Comment

In my area, "marine fuel" (non-E) is roughly $1 more per gallon than a couple of regular gas stations that sell Non E.

I use so little fuel, I just get it at the marina as I know is going to be "fresher" (as most folks in cars won't be buying Non-E fuel.).
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

This I am dreading, the ever increasing pressure to use ethanol laced fuel in Australia. To date it simply was never an issue to use old fuel, that fuel systems stayed clean for years and years.
          The worry is that filters do not stop fouling of critical fuelling components from happening.
          Marina fuel is convenient and where large fuel using boats are concerned, pretty much the only source. So there is a monopoly adding to the prices commanded.
          From my experience, if a marina charges exorbitant prices, those that can fill by jerry cans or indeed are trailered go elsewhere. This then leaves the marina with a low turnover making the fuel more susceptible to deterioration, adding to another very good reason not to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
            This I am dreading, the ever increasing pressure to use ethanol laced fuel in Australia. To date it simply was never an issue to use old fuel, that fuel systems stayed clean for years and years.
            The worry is that filters do not stop fouling of critical fuelling components from happening.
            Marina fuel is convenient and where large fuel using boats are concerned, pretty much the only source. So there is a monopoly adding to the prices commanded.
            From my experience, if a marina charges exorbitant prices, those that can fill by jerry cans or indeed are trailered go elsewhere. This then leaves the marina with a low turnover making the fuel more susceptible to deterioration, adding to another very good reason not to use them.
            that was my thoughts also.

we finally have a chain of gas stations start selling 92 E-0.

a lot of bikes,chain saws, and other motors call for higher octane fuel.
            I now use E-0 for all of my small gas motors just because some are not used real often

Comment

The marina I use is close by and VERY BUSY.

I don't go out on weekends as there's so many boats (weekend warriors) now it seems all year long, not just season (winter).

The fuel is definitly fresher there due to the traffic (lots of big and expensive boats).

For the small engines, I use E fuel with Gas Shok added.
              Never had an issue and it'll last easily a year W/O going foul...
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-02-2019, 09:25 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The same gas station that my original 87 E10 came from has 93 E10 (yea, 93, not 91). We used the boat in the last few days and burned off some 10 gallons or so, so I dumped in some of the 93 E10. Mathematically it calculates out to bringing the 87 up to 88.5. Close enough to 89. And it's nothing but the 89 from here on out.

I did hear that another gas station that caters to boaters is now selling 89 E0. I'll check that out and they may be my loyal customer.

Comment

Working...
                X