Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with F50LB battery cable connection

hi guys
    im installing a new yamaha f50 motor on my boat and i would like to know if someone can show me where the battery cable goes inside the motor
    I think I've found where the positive goes but i'm really not sure about the negative.
    if you have a picture or a link to an installation or service manual for a 2019 F50LB it would be awesome.

thanks

See page 3-11 of your service manual. It clearly shows where the connections are made. Other relevant information is also provided.

Comment

Surely you are not trying to install and rig a new motor without the service manual being available to you.

Comment

i didnt have the manual but ive found what i was looking for in the electrical parts diagram, it shows where the battery cable goes. it is running right now and everything seems to be correct. thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Surely you are not trying to install and rig a new motor without the service manual being available to you.
          Com'mon bossman....you know a service manual ain't necessary for an amateur outboard user. What good could possibly result from refering to such?!? ;(
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

i have another question maybe you know the answer. when my shifter is on neutral ( the set pin is at the middle mark) i cant turn the prop by hand. the only time i can turn it freely is when the shifter is completely at the back in backward position. is it normal?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              I thought a owners manual would tell you something like that

Op is this a tiller or remote operated motor?
              I would think it does not matter on that, as neutral should be neutral on either one.
              you should be able to turn the prop by hand in neutral

If you try to force a motor into reverse while not running or at least turning the prop by hand, you can bend/twist shafts and other things if the clutch dogs are not lined up

Comment

its a remote. I had to call the dealer and he helped me on the phone he explained how to take of the lower unit, set it to neutral and put it back there. did it myself and its working as it should now
                thank you

Comment

strange that it was off like that from the factory.
                  did you have the lower off for some reason to cause this?

Comment

its a long story i bought it from a dealer far from where i live because there is no yamaha dealer here i asked for a brand new motor and asked them to ship it to me. instead they sent me a showroom demo without telling me. it arrived here with damage on the cowl because they screwed it on the wrong hole on one side on the rack. the motor was too high on the rack and the cowl did rub against the metal rack bar. the top back yamaha logo is half gone.

i also suspected that the lower unit was change .when i received it i could see dust and splashes of water on the motor but i was stopping right where the lower unit start and the lower unit was ultra clean not one spot or splash. the paint was chipped just a little bit around the bolts of the lower unit.
                    ive called them about all that and they told me that its impossible that the motor had something change like this and that this is a brand new motor and the splashes are normal because they tested the motor before shipping and they said they are gonna send me a new cowling.
                    so ive installed the motor and then got the problem with the shifting. that make me think that i was right about the lower unit, it might have been taken out and reinstalled with the neutral at the wrong place.

i really start to regret my purchase i really think i really shouldn't have to go thru all this wit a brand new motor. Looks like they are lying to me. only their tech that helped me fix the problem was not bullshiting and was really helpful.

Comment

that really sucks

Comment

Yes it does... Did they replace the cowling and other damaged parts at least??

I think I'd insist on some sort of credit, whether it be a free extended warranty or credit($) itself as that motor was obviously used and you paid for a NEW engine..

The shifter being off a notch confirms someone's been in it BEFORE delivery. New engines DON'T have the paint chipped off the LU bolt heads UNTIL removed/serviced.

If paid with a CC, might want to put a hold and contest until somethings worked out. Just my 2 cts..
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-30-2019, 07:40 AM.
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The dealer is sending me a new cowling.
                          I've sent an email to Yamaha to tell them about the situation and to ask for advises about what i should do with this, I will wait for their response before taking any actions.

Comment

Working...
                          X