Yamaha VF175XA SHO making oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha VF175XA SHO making oil

Bought a new 2018 Bennington tri-toon with a new 2018 Yamaha 175 SHO last summer. Checked the oil at 12 hours and it was about a 1/4" over the full line. I changed the oil with the recommended
    Yamaha synthetic and went from the halfway mark on the dipstick to full in the next 8 hours (now have 20 hours) I can smell the gas on the dipstick. I followed recommended break in and have used it normally
    since - but it is a pontoon so not much full throttle and a lot of easy cruising 20 - 30 mph (will hit 40 at full throttle). The engine has performed perfectly the whole time. It seems to be propped perfectly
    as it hits the wide open throttle rpm on the nose. I have checked the thermostat and it is not stuck open. Yamaha said take it to your dealer - dealer said bring it in. Dealer is backed up so I could lose the boat for the better part of the summer. I thought of changing the oil again (maybe the regular yamaha mineral oil?) and trying the "drive it like you stole it cure". My question to the experts would be - is there any danger in trying my method if I do have a bad injector or something else is wrong? I have used the yamaha fuel stabil. and cond. and ring free in all the gas (10% ethanol as non ethanol gas doesn't seem to exist in Dallas, TX area). Sorry for the long post but I found this forum and it seems you guys know your stuff! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Following the Yamaha break in procedure is part of the problem. Using synthetic oil is part of the problem.

Load the boat up with folks. Or sand bags. At WOT the RPM should be at or near 6000. Run the boat WOT for as long as you can. It will stop eventually. Making oil that is.

Comment

Working...
    X