1989 Yamaha 150 V6 carb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Yamaha 150 V6 carb issue

i can’t seem to find the stock settings for the carbs on a 1989 Yamaha 150 2 stroke. Long story short I got the boat from a guy who had the carbs professionally rebuilt but was to impatient to wait for the mechanic to finish putting everything back together(the carbs were already rebuilt and reinstalled back on the motor). I got the boat and it runs but doesn’t run great. Backfired and idles rough. After taking the carbs off and cleaning because it sat up for a few years. I noticed all 3 carbs are set differently. So I’m assuming it’s a V6 and there is 3 carbs so each carb runs 2 cylinders? There’s 2 bowls and 2 sets of jets per each carb so common sense tells me that all 3 carbs need to be set the same so there synchronized and it will run right? Only problem is I can’t seem to find anything on line telling what the screws for the air fuel mixture and the jets should be set at? Can anyone help me??? The carbs are Nikki 6R2-14301-01-00 6R2-14302-01-00 6R2-14303-01-00 I can find rebuild kits and pets all day long off that pet number but nothing else

I have a 1994 150 proV and my manual(1990-1995) calls for 1 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw. Hope that helps

Comment

And that’s the only adjustment that I have on my carbs. The main jets in the side of the bowl screw in with an oring at the tip, no adjustment

Comment

Huh?

The jets are not adjusted. Or adjustable. They are fixed.

Are we talking about the idle mixture screw aka pilot screw? I think so.

The service manual has the idle mixture screw base setting listed within it. There are two 150 HP models covered. You don't say specifically which one you have. They are different.

And by the way, your motor has six cylinders and six carburetors. It is just that the carburetors are in pairs. Each pair has a one right side and one left side carburetor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdreid31 View Post
          i can’t seem to find the stock settings for the carbs on a 1989 Yamaha 150 2 stroke. Long story short I got the boat from a guy who had the carbs professionally rebuilt but was to impatient to wait for the mechanic to finish putting everything back together(the carbs were already rebuilt and reinstalled back on the motor). I got the boat and it runs but doesn’t run great. Backfired and idles rough. After taking the carbs off and cleaning because it sat up for a few years. I noticed all 3 carbs are set differently. So I’m assuming it’s a V6 and there is 3 carbs so each carb runs 2 cylinders? There’s 2 bowls and 2 sets of jets per each carb so common sense tells me that all 3 carbs need to be set the same so there synchronized and it will run right? Only problem is I can’t seem to find anything on line telling what the screws for the air fuel mixture and the jets should be set at? Can anyone help me??? The carbs are Nikki 6R2-14301-01-00 6R2-14302-01-00 6R2-14303-01-00 I can find rebuild kits and pets all day long off that pet number but nothing else
          Nope, they are not always set the same. Some Yams use different compression ratio's in different cylinders.

The vast majority of Yam data is not going to be found online. Why would it be?

Comment

yes I meant the pilot screw the air fuel mixture screw. So all 6 of them need to be set at 1 1/2 turns off seated?

Comment

I believe Boscoe said he was not sure what motor you have

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I believe Boscoe said he was not sure what motor you have
                Yes. Is this a 150ETLF/ETXF or a ProV150LF?

Comment

It is the 150ETLG. That’s what’s on the name plate.

Comment

the G says it is a 1988

Comment

Yes I just recently learned that. This is my first ever boat and motor so I’m learning everything

Comment

I know it's a 1988 but my 89 manual says 1 1/4 (port and starboard)

Comment

Ok awesome thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X