No announcement yet.

40 hp 4 stroke 2011 stalling rodbolt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 hp 4 stroke 2011 stalling rodbolt??

engine will cruise fine all day...when idleing down to 7-12 rpms for more than 20 min or so engine stalls. Has been going on for several weeks. Took to dealer while it was acting up. They put a fuel pressure gauge to it. Engine had to be shut off for about 5 min. to hook up. Ran fine when gauge was hooked up. Same thing happens to me on the water. Shut it down, wait 5 or 10 min. start back up and runs fine at high rpms. Drop down to 7-1200 and within 10 min. it stalls and scenario repeats. I fish commercially and down time is killing me. Filters have been replaced and vst has been examined and cleaned. Brought engine back today and I cannot make it repeat symptoms. Almost appears it is a heat issue of sorts due to after short period it runs fine but only at higher rpms. Shop was going to replace throttle assbly but Yamaha told them to look elsewhere due to them never haviing a problem. Frustration is taking hold!!! It will start up fine and run for about a 6 count and then stall. Same thing when advancing throttle lever in neutral will stall after 6 or so after running up to 3000,
    Last edited by captainbob1250; 07-28-2014, 04:17 PM.

Dad, put your engine model number. That helps the guys figure what's going on with your specific engine.

Comment

is the dealership aware that some of the late model F40 motors have some tech bullitens and recalls due to this issue?

you can wail, your techs can gnash a tooth or two.
      its a stupidly simple system.
      to much OR not enough fuel. guess what?
      to much OR not enough air. GUESS what.

dude I am behind a monitor, you wont give me enough info to even make an educated guess.

but other than sometimes ya gotta run it, who pays for that< for a long time. its stupidly simple.
      to much air,ISC. to much or not enough fuel.

the ECU CANNOT monitor air.
      the ECU CANNOT monitor fuel.
      it ASSUMES the ISC is mechanically positioned correctly .
      IT ASSUMES fuel rail pressure is correct.
      if you ASSUME it makes an ass out of U and me.

Comment

2011 40 stalling 6BG F40LA

I will ask techs if they are aware of recalls for this problem. today the tech was able to do fuel pressure test. Earlier test could not be done because we could not duplicate the problem.(last week) After 3 hrs of running engine today it was possible to duplicate it to get a reading. The pressure dropped to 10psi from 30 as the engine began to stall. Tech said now he knows it's a fuel issue not a throttle assbly problem. Could not duplicate the problem again so no further testing could be done. I will be going out to haul gear tomorrow am and guarantee it will act up. It usually only takes less than an hour for it to stall. If I had more info I would gladly let you know,

Comment

What is the serial number of the motor. All of it. Begins with a 6.

Comment

2011 40 hp yamaha stalling

serial # is 6BGL1012475.

Comment

2011 40 hp stalling

Tech found the issue. Sand was partially blocking fuel cooler causing temporary vapor lock. After shutting down for 10 min. gas was flowing again allowing engine to run at high rpms. Enough water was being pushed through to allow gas to cool enough to run. Blew compressed air through the hose clearing obstruction. Took it out for two hrs yesterday and no problems. Thanks for this site. They were aware of a recall on the electronic fuel pump recall. It was done upon original installation.

Comment

Working...
              X