C80TLRV 80hp 2 stroke engine will not go faster than idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C80TLRV 80hp 2 stroke engine will not go faster than idle

I have a 1997 C80TLRV 2 stroke Yamaha outboard. Took it out this morning and idled for about 2 miles. Ran fantastic. Went to give some throttle when I got out of the no wake zone and the motor died. Cranked right up but every time I tried to give it more throttle, it would bog down and stop. Thinking it might be the fuel pump. What would be your thoughts? Thanks,

If you think that it is the fuel pump use the primer ball to keep fuel flowing to the carburetors. See what happens. If the motor then runs just fine I would think you are right in suspecting the fuel pump to be at fault.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      If you think that it is the fuel pump use the primer ball to keep fuel flowing to the carburetors. See what happens. If the motor then runs just fine I would think you are right in suspecting the fuel pump to be at fault.
      The bulb was hard so maybe not a problem with the fuel pump?

Comment

Originally posted by fishfun83 View Post
        The bulb was hard so maybe not a problem with the fuel pump?
        I would not think so. When was the last time the carburetors were cleaned? Fully dismantled and soaked in a heated ultrasonic cleaner using a good cleaning solution?

Comment

What you can do to try and verify that it is a fuel related problem is to have someone mist some gasoline into the air intake system as you advance the throttle. If it picks up and runs with fuel being misted, but won't come up on power on its own, then that further leads me to suspect the carburetors are the problem.

Comment

Has the engine sat for awhile with un-treated ethanol fuel?

It does sound as if the carburetors are dirty. Draining the float bowls and catching what comes out may show water/crap in the carbs.

Their not available anymore so take care pulling them apart: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...lrv/carburetor
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I will drain the bowls on the 3 carbs Tuesday. Will also look at the fuel filter.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

When was the last time the carburetors were cleaned?
                I completely rebuilt the carburetors about 3 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by fishfun83 View Post

I completely rebuilt the carburetors about 3 years ago
                  They can clog up easily in as quick as a month...

Should be pretty obvious in your case..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Agreed all of the above. Once you r/o fuel pump i redkon you've 1 or more clogged jets....especially since it's been 3 yrs since last pulled/cleared.
                    Jason
                    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
                    X