Electrical Wiring Ideas Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Wiring Ideas Needed

Two of these boxes. One on each side of the trailer frame in between wheels. There is a connection problem with the brake (blue wires) or ground (white). Some current is getting through but not enough to lock the wheels at speed. Fairly confident the issue is with the Scotchlok connectors used to join these wires. I would like to replace the connections but there is not much room or extra wire length to work with. There are multiple three wire connections etc. Pulling new wire would be a blast as the wire runs through the frame and conduit all through the trailer.

come on now,
    surely pulling new wire using the other wire as a pull would be easy.

But I would cut strip and clean the wire and solder them together, or use wire nuts and tape/ seal them well to keep water out.

are you sure there is a problem with getting the full voltage to the breaks?
    could the coil/magnets be the problem.
    electric breaks are not as good as hydrolic brakes when it come to locking up wheels

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      come on now,
      surely pulling new wire using the other wire as a pull would be easy.

But I would cut strip and clean the wire and solder them together, or use wire nuts and tape/ seal them well to keep water out.

are you sure there is a problem with getting the full voltage to the breaks?
      could the coil/magnets be the problem.
      electric breaks are not as good as hydrolic brakes when it come to locking up wheels
      Magnets are new. Ruled that out for 50 bucks....

I have a P3 con*****er that gives a current reading as part of a troubleshooting menu. I read that the amps should be 14-16 at full power. Getting about 8 according to con*****er.

Comment

well then removing the blue connectors, cleaning the wires, and wrapping thewires together and soldering and then tape may be the next step if you do not want to use wire nuts.
        do you have more that 2 wheels with brakes?

I put a termination box up front and then ran individual wires to each wheel.
        no open connections by the wheels

Comment

4 wheels with brakes. I am thinking the wire nuts will be a good way to diagnose. At least I will have bare wire for testing. Then perhaps solder after it gets sorted

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            4 wheels with brakes. I am thinking the wire nuts will be a good way to diagnose. At least I will have bare wire for testing. Then perhaps solder after it gets sorted
            Have you no sense of decency kind sir?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              I would try disconnecting each magnet and measuring the voltage and amps at them.

might disconnect one at a time and just use the brake contr0er to see how much current changes as you go.

maybe it will give you an idea how much each is pulling when hooked up.

if all pull the same curent, then checking voltage at each device.
              use a long jumper wire back to battery to to see if there is a problem with the ground

Comment

I think you got your answer. Those blue connectors are temporary rubbish used in the quick and easy aftermarket fitment of auto electrical accessories. You won't find them used anywhere else for good reason.
                I would also look carefully at the guage of wire used if you are expecting those sort of currents. Your other source of present and future problems will be with the connection between the vehicle and trailer, don't know why there are not better "standards".

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Have you no sense of decency kind sir?
                  I was hoping you could swing by and give a proper soldering lesson. Trade you a few skrimps.

Comment

whatever you do, do not forget the flux

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      whatever you do, do not forget the flux
                      I thought was for the capacitor?

Comment

no you have it all wrong , with a flux capacitor , the capacitor is for the flux

Comment

Thought the flux was included in the solder?

Comment

to clean the copper well, I always dabbed some solder paste on the wires themselves.
                            actually just stuck the bare wire ends into the little container, and then heated and touched the solder wire to the tip and wire

Comment

Working...
                            X