X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 stroke catalyst equipped outboards.

go to the Yamah marine website.
    have a look at the new F115.
    pay attention to that lung looking ex tube.
    my guess is the F115 will be the test bed for a catalyst equipped 4 stroke outboard.
    its comeing.

Makes sense the gov./EPA will require catalytic converters on outboards sooner or later....maybe next lawn mowers, blowers ,chainsaws, etc.?....

Comment

its already started, many many gasoline powered lawn and garden stuff is not for sale in California due to carb standards.
      I have installed a few brand new carbed mercruisers and Volvos that are clearly labeled NOT for sale OR use in California.

Comment

Referred to as a four into one exhaust system.

I guess that items 1 and 4 could be replaced with a catalytic converter but damn those things run hot. Wonder how they are going to keep it cool under the hood?

Last edited by boscoe99; 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Does that mean that the 2014 90 hp has to have the oil changed, and if so, how often?

Comment

CARB FAQs | Storage & Maintenance Outboards FAQs | Mercury Marine Internet Security&version=19.0.0.128&layout=OEM30&partner=H P-HPM Consumer Program 1(60)&ispid=&sitename=&actstat=activated&substatus =current&ncoap=1
            for outboards
            EPA and CARB Emission Standards To Control Nonroad Exhaust Emissions of Fire Pumps and Chain Saws
            for certain hand held equipment.
            look in your northern tool catalog and see how many replacement lawn,pump and other small engines cannot be sold or shipped to CA.

even on the 3 crated Volvo 4.3 V6 motors I have in the shop, there is a sticker saying what states and countries that engine can be shipped and sold to.
            some countries have even tighter restrictions than we do.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/m...s_warranty.pdf

mercruisers words.
            see what I mean, catalyst outboards are coming.
            last couple of repowers I did I had to send in an affidavit of why I could not use a catalyst engine on the repower.
            if I do a repower I have to either eat about a 500 dollar core,even on a brand new complete engine, OR send in the engine ID tag along with a picture of a hole punched in the block with said ID tag in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by ellissg1 View Post
              Does that mean that the 2014 90 hp has to have the oil changed, and if so, how often?

The new Yamaha F90 does not have to have the oil changed.

In fact, you don't need to add any oil at all. It is completely optional.

Comment

boscoe.
                they will place it in the EX chamber with water running around the jacket.
                just like Volvo,crusader,mercruiser and pleasure craft marine do it.
                I cant remember the riser thermostat setting on the merc but the VOLVO manifold wont flow water until the manifold hits at least 115*F.
                the elbow gets water all the time,not the manifold proper.
                after a 30 min full power run your not going to rest your arm on the manifold assy while testing things.
                at least not very long.
                so far we have seen some of the Volvo struff clog with sand.
                drawback is it pretty much requires engine removal to get the manifold apart.
                see that opening between ref 1 and ref 4?
                that's where I would put the cat.
                add pre and post O2 sensors and volia, it passes emissions fleet standards for the next few years.

Comment

Maybe that location is where a turbine driven supercharger is going to be added.

Comment

a full on super turbo charged motor WITH muffler infold bearings.

this marine stuff, coupled with our stupid fuels is going to leave out the 99%.

Comment

Working...
                    X