Battery charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charging

I have just bought a 2stroke 2001 6 horsepower outboard to use as a primary engine on my small yacht. There is twin electric lead running from the outboard which I presume is to allow the recharging of the boat's battery. CanI connect this direct to the 12v battery or does it need to run through a charger?

If the leads are coming from the motor then it appears that your motor has the optional rectifier kit to convert voltage from AC to DC already installed.

Is there a fuse in one of the two leads? Do the leads have ring terminals installed on them?

If so, then those leads will connect directly to a battery. It may look something like the stuff at the top of this page

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

Thanks, the cable looks identical to the picture but a small 3 pin plug looks like it has been retro fitted. I will check under the cover for the inverter shown.
      If I can confirm this can I fit the leads direct to the 12v 100amh leisure battery to charge?

Comment

It is not an inverter. It is a rectifier. A rectifier converts AC voltage created by your engine into DC voltage.

You should have two wires coming from under the flywheel that go to the rectifier. Then you will have leads coming from the rectifier that go to the battery. Another lead that will connect to a ground point on the motor.

Once you have the leads connected to a battery start the motor. Then measure the output voltage from the rectifier. It is not regulated so don't be surprised to see it on what some would think is the high side.

Comment

Thanks again, I am now much clearer.

Comment

Working...
          X