Where did my RPMs go???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did my RPMs go???

2001 yamaha 115 2 stroke TRXZ. I haven't had her at WOT in a while and figured I'd let her eat a little. I did notice that my whole shot seemed to be suffering in the past few weeks but figured it was the extra ice I've been carrying since fishing season started. So today I get her on plan and punch it and get 4700 at WOT. I use to get 5700. I noticed early in the day a random clunk sound around 2000 RPM. Also while on plane a couple of times the RPMs jumped 200 for a few seconds with a noticeable short term speed increase when it did this. I did have a water in the fuel issue a few weeks ago that I have since fixed and cleaned tank, replaced internal fuel filter and racor filter. I did not replace the plugs till after today. My racor clear bowl is. Ice and clean for two tanks now so I know it's. It water. I'm hoping it was just fouled plugs from the previous water issue. I will do a compression test tomorrow. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Same Problem

I was having the same problem with my 150 HP. Turned out for me it was a small last chance filter located behind the air intake. You can't see it without removing the intakle.

Comment

Forgot to mention I tore apart the carbs, cleaned em and put back together.

Comment

Any other thoughs? Thank you.

Comment

if you haven't popped a piston, my guess is that debris was still in the lines and fuel pump and you get to clean the carbs again.
          then repeat as nessasary.

Comment

I was hoping you weren't going to say that. I hate cleaning carbs. What do you mean by popping a piston?

Comment

means sometimes you only get one shot at leaning out a piston and detonating/scuffing it.
              kinda like an overheat.
              I have seen some guys overheat many times with no mechanical damage.
              others get 1 overheat and an overhaul.

Comment

Compression test complete all between 135 and 140. Test ran in the pond after changing the plugs and problem SOLVED! Full RPM 5700!

Comment

Working...
                X