tilt jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt jumps

when I put the engine down it sort of jumps. What I am saying is it is not smooth movement. it will start to go down smoothly then will **** and then become smooth again. Seems to me that it might need tilt and trim fluid or could be air in the line. Any suggestions
    it is a C150

dg,
    If you hear a squealing, popping noise it could be just the seals of the trim/tilt rams rubbing against the outside of the rams. Tilt the motor all the way up - drop down the locking lever for safety. Lube the rams with a thin film of marine grease, both on the sides and the ends.
    If you are hearing a popping, squishing sound, then it could be air in the t/t system. You need to purge the air per the Yamaha shop manual and check for fluid level.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

no noise at all

Comment

dg,
        Try to listen to the t/t motor when you engage the down switch - if it is stopping/starting when the outboard starts to ****/stop/start, then I would suspect a bad down t/t relay.
        If the t/t motor runs all the time when the outboard stops/starts, then go ahead and lube the tilt rams and purge the air from the t/t unit and check/fill fluid.
        Also, grease all fittings on the motor, especialy the ones on the steering/tilt tube.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X