2003 yamaha vmax, plesae help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 yamaha vmax, plesae help

I just had the boat out yesterday and everything was going great but at my last stop before the ramp is shut off when i was idle to spot. I then tried to recrank and the battery was dead. I took to the house and charged and went out this morning and it is really making a clanking grinding noise when the egine is started. I just loaded back up on the trailer. Is it bad news ? Any ideas ?

penguin,
    Check the battery heavy cable connections both at the battery and at the starter and starter relay on the motor.
    The "clanking-grinding" noise during starting
    could be a bad starter pinion gear or starter motor bearings.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

thanks ken,
      but that noise only happend wants the engine was running. please tell me it is not the worst... i took the cover off and all looked normal. any other ideas ?

Comment

SOUNDS Like you should do a compression check if starter and flywheel look up to par.

Comment

penguin,
          Check the mounting bolts on the starter - grab the starter and try to move it - it may be loose.
          Also, look at the pinion gear with the outboard not running to see that it is down at the bottom of it's travel on the starter shaft - should be about 0.150 clearance from the top of the pinion and the bottom of the flywheel.
          Also, look at the pinion gear spring to see if it is broke - you can rotate the pinion gear clockwise and it should travel up the starter shaft - release it, and the spring should push it fast back down the spiral cut on the shaft.
          What you are looking for is perhaps the pinion gear jumping up/down on the starter shaft and rubbing against the bottom of the flywheel while the outboard is running.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Working...
          X